GORDON Ramsay has opened up about his childhood – revealing he was so poor he ate toothpaste and didn’t have food for days.
On Wednesday his new six-part Netflix documentary Being Gordon Ramsay airs, detailing his efforts to launch his latest ambitious project.
Sign up for the Showbiz newsletter
Thank you!
Gordon Ramsay revealed he was so poor he ate toothpaste as a childCredit: ShutterstockThe TV chef’s new six-part Netflix documentary, Being Gordon Ramsay is now availableCredit: Getty
Britain’s highest eaterie, Restaurant Gordon Ramsay High is on the 60th floor of skyscraper 22 Bishopsgate in the City of London.
Having trained under Marco Pierre White, aged 35 he set up his first eponymous restaurant, winning three coveted Michelin stars shortly after.
He now has eateries all across the globe, and is arguably the planet’s most famous chef.
His work ethic is relentless – possibly a result of his humble upbringing.
In one episode, Gordon gets emotional recalling his own childhood struggles, growing up on a council estate in Glasgow.
Relying on food vouchers at school to eat, he speaks powerfully on the embarrassment of being desperately poor.
Today, he has teamed up with a fantastic charity, Feeding Britain, to tackle child poverty. The aim is to provide Britain’s 800,000 kids in poverty with affordable food.
Gordon has quietly and personally donated “very heavily” to the cause. Shockingly Gordon recalls: “I was hungry all the time, there was no food in the house.
“I was sometimes too embarrassed to use my vouchers to get mt free shepherds pie in case, you know, aged 15 or 16, a girl I fancied saw me.
”I was a skinny f***ing bean. I remember eating toothpaste thinking that was delicious because there were multiple nights where we never ate.
“It is appalling that we’re in this situation now. It’s disgusting, an embarrassment. The system’s dysfunctional.”
While Gordon’s father, who died from a heart attack aged 53, was an alcoholic, his younger brother Ronnie is, tragically, a heroin addict.
Having gone for long swathes of time not speaking, he reveals the pair had a reconciliation of sorts on the phone last week.
Becoming visibly emotional, Gordon recalls: “It was just sad because at the end of that call he said, ‘did I hear you ask for my bank details? I’ve got no electricity’.
“And so I said, ‘Come on, Ronnie, you know damn well if I knew that was going on electricity, I would. But I know full well that’s going to go on drugs.’ ”’And it pains me, it kills me, mate.’
“We’ve been down this road so many times.”
Gordon’s new Netflix series will see the star put all his energy into his new project, 22 Bishopsgate.
Home to Britain’s tallest restaurant, its Restaurant Gordon Ramsay High, an intimate 12-seater chef’s table experience, has already earned him another Michelin star.
I’ve seen the show, and it’s brilliant, giving viewers a fly-on-the-wall look into Gordon’s frenetic and fabulous – he and Tana are parents to six kids – home life, as well as the sheer hell of getting a new business off the ground.
”I won’t watch it,” he smiles. “I never ever watch myself on telly because it’s just incredibly nerve-wracking.
“I think when you’ve done it and lived it, the last thing you want to do is sit there with lots of popcorn. There’s a level of embarrassment.”
Even without Gordon’s viewership, it is sure to be another Netflix smash.
Gordon’s new Netflix series will see the star put all his energy into his new projectCredit: Getty
Weekly insights and analysis on the latest developments in military technology, strategy, and foreign policy.
U.S. Air Force Global Strike Command says it is prepared to load more warheads onto Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) and restore nuclear weapons capability to the entire B-52 bomber fleet, if called upon to do so. Limitations had been imposed on both of those capabilities by the New START arms control treaty between the United States and Russia, which recently expired without a follow-on agreement in place, as you can read more about here.
There are currently 400 Minuteman IIIs, also designated LGM-30Gs, loaded in silos spread across five states. Each one is topped with a single W78 or W87 warhead. Of the Air Force’s 76 B-52H bombers, 30 are currently only capable of employing conventional munitions. This posture had helped the United States meet its obligations under New START. The treaty had put hard caps on the total number of deployed strategic missiles and bombers, strategic nuclear warheads, and relevant deployed and non-deployed launchers that the United States and Russia could have at any one time.
“The conclusion of New START allows us to streamline our focus and dedicate more resources to our core mission: ensuring a safe, secure, and effective nuclear deterrent,” an AFGSC spokesperson told TWZ. “This managed transition enhances our operational readiness and our ability to respond to the nation’s call.”
Air Force Global Strike Command: Our Nation’s Shield
“Although we will not comment on the posturing of our forces, Air Force Global Strike Command both maintains the capability and training to MIRV the Minuteman III ICBM force and convert its entire B-52 fleet into dual capable long range strike platforms if directed by the President,” the spokesperson added.
MIRV here stands for multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle. ICBMs and other ballistic missiles with MIRV configurations are designed to carry and release multiple warheads on different targets in the course of their flight. When the Air Force first began fielding the LGM-30G in 1970, the missiles had a MIRV configuration with three W78 warheads. Each one of those warheads has a reported yield of around 335 kilotons.
An infrared picture of a Minuteman III seen during a test launch. USAF An infrared image of an LGM-30G Minuteman III ICBM taken during a routine test launch. USAF
The Minuteman IIIs had already been downloaded to just one warhead in line with other strategic arms control treaties with Russia prior to New START. Those agreements had also led to the early retirement of the Air Force’s LGM-118A Peacemaker ICBM force in 2005. The LGM-118A was also a MIRVed missile capable of carrying up to 11 W87 warheads at once. Newer W87s from decommissioned Peacemakers were subsequently refitted on Minuteman IIIs. The W87’s reported yield is at least 300 kilotons, but its second stage is understood to be modifiable to increase that to 475 kilotons.
US Air Force personnel seen training to service reentry vehicles for the LGM-118A. USAF
The time that would be required, as well as what it would cost, to ‘upload’ more warheads onto any portion of the Minuteman III force is unclear. At least some of those missiles would also need to be refitted with MIRV-capable payload buses. Whether there are any additional limitations on how many W87s can be loaded onto a single LGM-30G at once is also not clear. The ready availability of appropriate warheads is another open question.
Right, of course. I didn’t know about the PBVs. Good to know, thanks.
“I do believe that we need to take serious consideration in seeing what uploading and re-MIRVing the ICBM looks like, and what does it take to potentially do that,” now-retired U.S. Air Force Gen. Anthony Cotton, then head of U.S. Strategic Command (STRATCOM), had said during a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee back in 2024.
All of this could also impact the future configuration of the LGM-35A Sentinel ICBM now in development to replace the Minuteman III. In line with the New START limits, the Air Force’s stated plan to date has been to top each LGM-35A with a single warhead. The entire Sentinel program is currently in the process of being restructured as a result of severe delays and ballooning costs. The blame for those issues has been placed largely on requirements for new ground-based infrastructure rather than the missiles themselves, as you can read more about here.
A picture showing a test of a nose shroud for the LGM-35A Sentinel ICBM. Northrop Grumman
Re-nuclearizing the 30 B-52s is at least a somewhat less complex proposition. The process of converting those bombers into a conventional-only configuration involved “removing the nuclear code enabling switch and interconnection box, mounting a code enabling switch inhibitor plate, removing applicable cable connectors, [and] capping applicable wire bundles,” according to a letter Russian authorities sent a letter to their U.S. counterparts in 2018, which The Wall Street Journal obtained and then published.
A pair of US Air Force B-52H bombers. USAF
Officials in Moscow had sent the missive to lodge official complaints about what they described as potentially readily reversible steps the U.S. military had taken to meet its New START obligations. What additional steps the U.S. military may have taken with regard to the B-52 fleet to address those concerns are not entirely clear. Today, nuclear-capable B-52Hs are easy to distinguish by the presence of a pair of prominent antennas, one on either side of the rear fuselage.
There has been some disagreement in the past about what it might cost to restore nuclear capability to the entire B-52 fleet.
“The restoration could probably be done without much difficulty. The necessary wiring is probably still in place… and physical components that had been removed could be re-installed,” Defense News reported in 2024, citing Mark Gunzinger, Director of Future Concepts and Capability Assessments at the Air & Space Association’s Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies think tank. Gunzinger is also an Air Force veteran who flew B-52s.
“This would cost a great deal of money,” Representative Adam Smith, a Democrat from Washington State and the ranking member of his party on the House Armed Services Committee, also said at that time, per the same Defense News story. “Also, they’re currently trying to extend the life of a number of B-52s out to 2050, which they think they can do. This would be another added expense to that.”
In the annual defense policy bill, or National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), for the 2025 Fiscal Year, Congress did give the Air Force authority to convert conventional-only B-52Hs back to a dual-capable configuration following the expiration of New START. However, the provisions did not compel the service to do so, and did not provide any hints as to the time or funds that would be needed.
An AGM-86-series ALCM in flight. USAFA rendering the US Air Force has previously released of the AGM-181A LRSO. USAF
The B-52 fleet is otherwise in the process of recieving a host of major upgrades, including new engines and radars. At the end of the upgrade process, which has been beset by delays, the bombers will be redesignated as B-52Js. They are expected to keep flying into the 2050s. The end of New START could have further impacts on the Air Force’s future bomber fleets, as there are currently no constraints on how many nuclear-capable B-21s the service can now order.
B-52 Future Stratofortress: The Upgrades That Will Transform The B-52H Into The B-52J
In the wake of New START’s expiration, U.S. officials have said that they are committed to pursuing new strategic arms control agreements, but also that they want any future deal to include China, as well as Russia. These Chinese are currently in the midst of a major nuclear modernization effort, as well as a huge expansion in their total stockpile, though their arsenal continues to be dwarfed by that of the United States and Russia. Officials in Beijing have repeatedly rebuffed calls to join in new strategic arms control negotiations. U.S. authorities have also now openly alleged that the Chinese government has engaged in secret critical-level nuclear testing, which could further complicate future diplomatic efforts.
So far, the U.S. government has not laid out any specific plans to increase the size of America’s nuclear arsenal or otherwise alter its nuclear force posture. However, AFGSC has now said that it is at least prepared to move out on returning the Minuteman IIIs to a MIRVed configuration and/or restoring nuclear capability to the entire B-52 fleet if that decision is made.
Aaron Jones was one of the key US performers at the 2024 T20 World Cup but will now miss the 2026 edition.
Published On 29 Jan 202629 Jan 2026
Share
United States batter Aaron Jones has been provisionally suspended after being charged with five breaches of the International Cricket Council (ICC) anticorruption code, the governing body says.
The 31-year-old has 14 days to respond to the charges, which relate mostly to his participation in the 2023-2024 Bim10 tournament in Barbados, while two of the charges relate to international cricket, the ICC said.
Recommended Stories
list of 4 itemsend of list
USA Cricket did not immediately respond to a request for comment outside normal business hours.
The ICC accused Jones of fixing, trying to fix or influencing Bim10 matches; refusing or failing to cooperate with an investigation; obstructing the inquiry; and failing to disclose attempts to violate the Cricket West Indies anticorruption code.
“These charges are part of a wider investigation which is likely to result in further charges being issued against other participants in due course,” the ICC said in a statement on Wednesday.
Jones was part of an 18-member US squad training in Sri Lanka in preparation for the T20 World Cup, scheduled from February 7 to March 8 in India and Sri Lanka.
The US has yet to announce its squad for the tournament, and Jones is now ineligible for selection.
Jones celebrates after hitting the winning runs during the men’s 2024 T20 World Cup cricket match between the US and Canada in Grand Prairie, Texas [File: Julio Cortez/AP]
Jones was a star of the 2024 edition, which was cohosted by the US, which were also debuting at a major cricket tournament.
He was an integral part of the team that beat Pakistan in what is regarded as the greatest cricketing upset of all time, scoring 11 runs in the super-over victory.
Jones also hit an unbeaten 94 in the seven-wicket win against Canada, which included hitting the winning runs to produce one of the iconic images of the tournament.
Born in New York, Jones rose to prominence with Barbados – and hit a half-century in his first-class debut in 2017 – but switched to the nation of his birth, making his international debut in 2018.