Mor

One killed in ‘riot’ in Iraq’s Erbil after attack on Khor Mor gas field | Politics News

Kurdish authorities say one killed, several wounded in riots in Erbil’s Gwer, as authorities try to restore power after attack on Khor Mor.

A group of “rioters” have opened fire at fuel tanker trucks in the northern Iraqi governorate of Erbil, killing at least one person and wounding several others, Kurdish authorities said, days after a rocket attack on the region’s Khor Mor gas field.

In a statement carried by the Iraqi News Agency late on Saturday, the Ministry of Interior of the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) linked the shooting to the Khor Mor attack.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

The rocket attack hit a storage tank at the gas field, which is one of the region’s largest facilities, late on Wednesday, leading to production shutdown and extensive power cuts.

The ministry said the KRG sent liquid fuel to supply power plants following the Khor Mor attack, but that “a group of rioters blocked the road used by fuel tankers and civilians in Gwer, opening fire on passersby and travellers”.

The shooting “resulted in the death of one citizen and injuries to several others”, it said.

The ministry pledged action against the “riots”, saying “we will put an end to these acts of sabotage”.

The ministry statement followed an earlier report by the Iraqi News Agency in which it said there had been armed clashes between the Harkiya tribe and security forces in Erbil, near the village of Lajan on the Erbil-Gwer road.

The agency cited security forces as saying that the clashes, adjacent to the Lanaz Company refinery, had “resulted in fatalities and injuries”.

 

Meanwhile, Iraqi Kurdish Prime Minister Masrour Barzani has announced that the KRG has agreed with the company operating the Khor Mor gas field to restart production within hours to restore electricity.

The attack on Thursday on Khor Mor was the most significant violence since a series of drone attacks in July that cut production by about 150,000 barrels per day.

“I have spoken with the company’s [Dana Gas] leadership to thank them and their workforce for their extraordinary resilience and determination amid eleven attacks on the Khor Mor field,” Barzani said in a statement posted in English.

“I have urged [Iraqi] Prime Minister Mohammed Shia al-Sudani to hold the perpetrators of this attack accountable to the full extent of the law, whoever they may be and wherever they are,” Barzani added.

There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack on Khor Mor, and authorities have not said who was behind the attack.

Abdulkhaliq Talaat, a military expert and former official from the Kurdish region of northern Iraq, however, told the Rudaw news channel that the drone attack on the Khor Mor gas field was launched from an area under the control of Iraqi forces.

The storage tank at Khor Mor is part of new facilities partially financed by the US and built by a US contractor, an industry source told the Reuters news agency earlier this week.

The KRG exercises autonomy in parts of northern Iraq, where US companies have significant investments in energy.

Source link

Rocket Attack Shuts Iraq’s Khor Mor Gas Field, Causes Widespread Power Cuts

Production at Iraq’s Khor Mor gas field, one of the largest in the Kurdistan region, was halted after a rocket struck a storage facility late on Wednesday. The facility, part of a recent expansion under the KM250 project, had increased the field’s production capacity by 50% and included new installations partially financed by the U.S. government and built by a U.S. contractor. The attack comes amid a series of drone strikes and assaults on the region’s oilfields, which have previously disrupted production and raised concerns over energy security in northern Iraq.

Why It Matters

The shutdown of Khor Mor has caused significant power cuts in the Kurdistan region, with electricity generation dropping by an estimated 3,000 megawatts. The gas field supplies fuel for regional power generation, meaning interruptions directly impact homes, businesses, and local infrastructure. The attack also underscores the vulnerability of energy assets in Iraqi Kurdistan, a region of strategic importance with major U.S. and international investments in the energy sector.

Key stakeholders include Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, operators of the Khor Mor field under the Pearl Consortium, local Kurdish authorities responsible for regional security, and U.S. interests, given their financial and operational involvement in the field. Residents and businesses in the northern region are directly affected by the power cuts, while regional security forces and international observers monitor the recurring attacks, which are often attributed to Iran-backed militias targeting U.S. and allied interests.

What’s Next

Authorities are assessing the damage and working to restore production and electricity supply. Firefighting teams successfully extinguished the blaze early on Thursday, but gas output remains suspended, prolonging power shortages. The incident follows previous attacks in July and recent drone strikes, highlighting ongoing security risks to critical infrastructure. Local officials, including Kurdish leaders, have called for improved anti-drone and defense measures to protect energy facilities, while the investigation into the perpetrators continues.

With information from Reuters.

Source link