harper

Congress targets MLB sportsbook policies after Bryce Harper video

Three members of Congress sent a letter on Monday to Major League Baseball and the players union requesting that they tighten policies so an incident last month involving Bryce Harper, FanDuel and an admitted gambling addict cannot reoccur.

Harper, an All-Star with the Philadelphia Phillies, said on Instagram that he created a troublesome, personalized 21-second video on behalf of FanDuel. But he would not have done so had he known the online sportsbook allegedly intended to use it to entice VIP customer Terry Thompson to continue gambling.

The incident triggered the three-page letter signed by Senator Richard Blumenthal, Congressman Paul Tonko and Congresswoman Valerie Foushee that demands an end to the policies that enabled “this type of predatory promotion.”

The letter states that although Harper said he was unaware of the true purpose of the video, the incident “raises broader concerns that players are not prohibited from such endorsements and highlights a systemic failure rooted in the deep enmeshment between leagues, teams, and sports books.

“In fact, MLB rules currently allow players to enter endorsement deals with sportsbooks so long as they do not encourage betting on baseball. Partnerships that do not violate this rule can even use personalized content from players to drive vulnerable fans into debt and addiction.”

The letter suggests that MLB and the players union must confront this “failure” during collective bargaining negotiations that began in May and likely will continue through the expiration of the current agreement Dec. 1.

The letter posed the following five questions and requested that MLB and the players union provide answers by Aug. 24.

1. As MLB and MLBPA renegotiate their collective bargaining agreement, what is your current position on allowing MLB players to seek endorsements and partnerships from sportsbooks? Note: The MLBPA has publicly announced their intention to seek greater freedom for players to have relationships with gambling companies.

2. How will MLB and the MLBPA guarantee that fan safety and well-being take precedence over revenue from gambling partnerships?

3. Do you believe MLB and MLBPA policies on sportsbook endorsements and partnerships are adequate to prevent engagement with predatory VIP programs?

4. Will the MLB and MLBPA undertake any player education to ensure that players understand the risks their participation in sportsbook promotions poses to fans?

5. Will the MLB and MLBPA prohibit players from participating in personalized marketing campaigns by sportsbooks as part of VIP or tier programs?

Harper said he received a request on Cameo in November 2024 to read a message provided by FanDuel VIP host Bryttanni Morgan for a personal “holiday video for Terry.”

“Hey, Terry? What’s up, brother? Hey, man, your host Bryttanni from FanDuel wanted to make sure your Thanksgiving was extra special,” Harper says in the video.

Thompson sued FanDuel, Morgan, DraftKings and the NFL in March, alleging that the sportsbooks caused him to lose about $1.6 million while betting an estimated $18.5 million over a four-year period.

“Had I known FanDuel’s true intent, I would not have made the video,” Harper said. “The same is true had I known anything about Terry or his situation, or about any alleged ‘partnership’ between Cameo and FanDuel.”

The lawsuit filed by the nonprofit Public Health Advocacy Institute on behalf of Thompson and fellow gambler Christopher Sage alleges that FanDuel and DraftKings intentionally fostered addiction by providing enticements such as Super Bowl tickets, hotel accommodations and access to athletes and celebrities.

FanDuel issued a statement after the Harper video came to light in an investigative story published July 9 in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

“We are committed to fostering a culture of responsible gaming and protecting our customers,” the statement said. “Unlike illegal offshore sportsbooks, FanDuel employees are trained to recognize and flag signs of problem gambling and offer resources and tools, and we continue to review and strengthen our policies to ensure we have the industry’s strongest consumer protection initiatives.”

FanDuel and DraftKings, the leading sportsbooks since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2018 that states could legalize sports betting, have developed lucrative partnerships with leagues in all major sports. The 2022 MLB collective bargaining agreement opened the door for players to do promotional work for sportsbooks.



Source link

Harper Beckham sets sights on breaking America with make-up brand as David and Victoria plan for ‘world domination’

Ambitious Harper Beckham is aiming for world dominance with her fledgling make-up brand, we can reveal.

The Sun told earlier this month how the teenage daughter of David and Victoria planned to name the new line Harlo by Harper.

Victoria Beckham at the "Victoria Beckham" World Premiere Arrivals.
Harper is planning world domination with her upcoming make-up brand Credit: WireImage
Harper Seven applying lip liner.
David and Victoria’s youngest child will start rolling out her products next year Credit: Unknown

Now we can also reveal that 15-year-old Harper’s team has lodged papers with the US Patent and Trademark Office asking to be granted sole rights to use the name across the Atlantic.

Her representatives have filed documents with the UK’s Intellectual Property Office to trademark the brand.

It comes after The Sun told how the youngest Beckham child plans to start rolling out the brand next year.

A source said: “Harper has been working on a name with the team working on the brand for a while and came up with Harlo By Harper.

BLEND IT LIKE BECKHAM

Behind-the-scenes of Harper’s beauty brand with new name revealed


GOLDEN GIRL

Harper Beckham’s World Cup outfit makes clear who she backs at Spain v France

“The trademark applications are signed and sealed.

“Although there is no set date for a launch yet, the aim is to officially start the roll out at some point next year.

“Victoria has been guiding and supporting Harper every step of the way in this venture.

“Both Victoria and David couldn’t be more proud of Harper.”

The Sun first revealed how Harper was working on her own beauty empire last year.

She is following in the footsteps of fashion designer Victoria, whose own beauty range has proved hugely lucrative since she launched it in 2019.

Source link

Bryce Harper hits for cycle, Kyle Schwarber homers twice in 1 inning

Kyle Schwarber launched two long home runs in Philadelphia’s eight-run third inning and Bryce Harper became the 11th player in franchise history to hit for the cycle, leading the Phillies to a 15-3 victory over the New York Mets on Saturday night.

Schwarber led off the Phillies’ huge inning with a solo homer off Mets starter Freddy Peralta, sending the ball 456 feet into the second deck in right field.

Later in the inning, Schwarber hit a three-run shot off Cionel Perez into nearly the same spot, 457 feet away.

Schwarber is the 67th player in major league history to hit two home runs in an inning and the second this season, joining Houston’s Yordan Alvarez, who accomplished the feat on June 12. He’s the fourth Phillies player to do so, along with Trea Turner (Aug. 19, 2023), Von Hayes (June 11, 1985) and Andy Seminick (June 2, 1949).

Schwarber hit his third homer of the game — giving him a major league-leading 28 — in the seventh, a two-run shot off Tobias Myers. He finished four for five with six RBIs and scored four runs.

Harper completed his first career cycle by the fifth inning. He hit a solo home run in the first, his 16th of the season. He doubled and scored on an error in the third, then singled after Schwarber’s second home run.

In the fifth, Harper lined a ball into the gap in left-center field and motored around to third base for a two-run triple. He’s the first Phillies player to hit for the cycle since Weston Wilson on Aug. 15, 2024. Harper finished four for five with three RBIs and two runs.

Harper is the second player this season — and this week — to hit for the cycle, joining the Chicago Cubs’ Pete Crow-Armstrong, who accomplished the feat Monday night in a 5-4 win over Colorado.

Source link

Beckhams put on a united front as they hit back at Brooklyn team’s ‘untrue & unfair’ claim Harper visit ‘choreographed’

THE BECKHAMS appeared to put on a united front after they hit back at Brooklyn’s teams claims that Harper’s visit was “choreographed”.

Harper, who was in the US to see footballer dad David, 51, get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, was seen arriving at Brooklyn’s Beverly Hills pad in a SUV.

The Beckham family put a united front after hitting back at Brooklyn’s team Credit: BackGrid
Brooklyn’s reps claimed Harper’s visit to his LA home was ‘choreographed’ Credit: BackGrid

The 14-year-old arrived “unannounced” and “left seconds later without seeing him”, according to claims in Page Six.

A spokesperson for Brooklyn and his wife Nicola Peltz hit out at his famous parents, claiming they organised the whole thing – an allegation dismissed by family source as “clearly nonsense”.

In new photos, David and Victoria, 52, were seen out for dinner at Nobu in Malibu amid the ongoing feud with Brooklyn.

The family appeared tense as they headed into the swanky eatery.

READ MORE ON THE BECKHAMS

‘SET UP’

Brooklyn Beckham’s team accuses David & Victoria of choreographing Harper’s visit


JOG ON

Brooklyn Beckham ignores dad David’s Hollywood Walk of Fame with jog in NYC

The fashion designer wore a khaki midi dress and black heels with a pair of oversized glasses, while David opted for a white T-shirt and black jeans.

A spokesperson for Brooklyn and his wife Nicola Peltz hit out at his famous parents Credit: Getty
Brooklyn’s teams latest allegation have been dismissed by a family source as ‘clearly nonsense’ Credit: BackGrid
Romeo Beckham was seen standing firmly by his parents amid the fallout Credit: BackGrid
The family were seen arriving at swanky restaurant Nobu in Malibu Credit: BackGrid

Victoria and David’s son Romeo, 23, was also present for the dinner, along with his girlfriend Kim Turnbull, 25.

Romeo has stood by his parents throughout the family fallout his brother.

And last night was no different as he attended the meal out, just a day after sister Harper attempted to heal the rift by visiting Brooklyn’s LA home.

Harper was reportedly hand-delivering a letter as she arrived at Brooklyn’s home.

A rep for Brooklyn and Nicola said: “That photographers were in place as the letter was hand delivered says it all – this was choreographed for the cameras.”

But source for the Beckhams hit back today, saying: “This is clearly nonsense and just another untrue and unfair accusation.”

Shortly after news of Harper’s very brief visit, Brooklyn took to social media to reveal that he wasn’t in Los Angeles.

He shared a photo of him jogging in park in New York City.

Yesterday a source told Page Six how the budding chef, married to actress Nicola Peltz, 31, was out of town with his wife.

Earlier this year, David and Victoria Beckham‘s eldest son let rip at his parents in a brutal social media takedown – and said he has no wish to reconcile.

In a scathing statement, Brooklyn told how he grew up with “overwhelming anxiety” having been “controlled” by his parents most of his life.

Since then, understandably, tensions have been high.

This week, Brooklyn snubbed former England footballer David on his special commemoration day.

He gave his speech before unveiling his star and he mentioned his children – but did not name them individually.

“My beautiful children who are the reason I get out of bed in the morning,” he said while choking back tears.

“Kids, I hope you bring my grandchildren here one day and tell them about a boy who dreamed big,” he added.

Later on, David closed down any potential chat about Brooklyn as he insisted the family troubles are a “private matter”.

Brooklyn’s furious tirade on Instagram came amid a bitter family feud which has rumbled on for months.

In his jaw-dropping message earlier this year, he made 12 key accusations towards his loved ones including allegations of “bribery” and family members telling Nicola “she’s not family”.

During his bombshell post, Brooklyn claimed: “I grew up with overwhelming anxiety. For the first time in my life, since stepping away from my family, that anxiety has disappeared.

“I wake up every morning grateful for the life I chose, and have found peace and relief.”

He added: “My parents have controlled narratives in the press about our family.

“The performative social media posts, family events and inauthentic relationships have been a fixture of the life I was born into.”

At the time, he was criticised for “hypocrisy” after Brand Beckham had opened many doors for him in his career.

He also alleged Victoria cancelled making his spouse Nicola’s wedding dress “at the 11th hour” and that his mum then “hijacked” their first dance.

In six blistering posts on his Instagram stories he claimed dad David and mum Victoria have been trying to “endlessly ruin my relationship” with Nicola.

He said: “I do not want to reconcile with my family. I’m not being controlled, I’m standing up for myself for the first time in my life.”

Friends of the Beckhams told The Sun how the pair had been left “floored” by their son’s accusations.

Source link

Harper Beckham, 14, channels Victoria as she borrows mum’s designer dress on family holiday to Ibiza

HARPER Beckham, 14, has channelled Victoria while borrowing her mum’s designer dress.

The only daughter of Spice Girls star Victoria mum and billionaire sportsman dad David Beckham, accompanied her parents on a recent trip to Ibiza.

Harper Seven Beckham looked amazing as she rocked her mum’s dress while in Ibiza Credit: BackGrid
Just mere days before Harper wore the frock, Victoria wore it on a yacht trip Credit: BackGrid

The family were spotted soaking up the sunshine during a glamorous family getaway in Spain on Sunday.

In snaps of the famous family taken over the weekend, Victoria and David were seen with daughter Harper, son Romeo and his girlfriend Kim Turnball.

Victoria looked amazing in the photos, rocking a floaty chiffon brown dress, which was covered in a pretty floral print.

But now Harper has been spotted rocking the same exact frock after seemingly raiding her mum’s wardrobe and channelling her chic style.

Read More about The Beckhams

GOLDEN FAMILY

Victoria stuns in bikini for yacht trip as David named BILLIONAIRE sportsman


LOVING MESSAGE

Brooklyn Beckham sends heartfelt message to grandad after skipping birthday

The Beckhams are currently in Ibiza, with Victoria seen with Harper on a day out Credit: BackGrid
Harper looked incredible in her mum’s stunning frock Credit: BackGrid
Victoria wore the garment just days before Credit: BackGrid
This comes as Harper is poised to follow in her mum’s footsteps as a beauty mogul Credit: Instagram

The teenager was seen out and about wearing the garment while smiling from ear-to-ear.

It is thought that the brown chiffon dress could be a new Victoria Beckham piece from the high-end designer fashion brand.

Harper paired the dress with a stunning £1,275 golden Bottega Veneta clutch bag and a pair of £680 Hermès Oran sandals.

This comes as Harper continues to be tipped to follow in her mother’s footsteps as a fashion and beauty entrepreneur.

Back in October last year, HIKU BY Harper, the proposed name for the skincare and beauty brand, was filed under two trademark applications by the business Victoria incorporated for Harper, H7B Limited, matching the teenager’s full name, Harper Seven Beckham.

A source told us at the time: “Harper loves fashion and make-up and has already started doing make-up tutorials. 

“The plan is to create a brand aimed at the younger market, taking inspiration for pop culture and Korean beauty.

The Beckhams are incredibly encouraging parents when it comes to their kids’ talents and exploring their hobbies and business ideas.  They’re a very entrepreneurial family.”

Victoria previously said of her daughter: “Harper is going to be one of two things. 

“She’s either going to be a beauty mogul or she’s going to be a stand-up.

“She is hilarious.”

This comes after football legend and his wife Victoria were revealed to have amassed a fortune of £1.185billion, as per Sunday Times Rich List.

Sir David’s new eye-watering fortune puts him ahead of the King, whose wealth stands at just £680million.

The Beckhams’ skyrocketing ascent to 141st on the list comes thanks to business ventures including Victoria’s fashion brand and their lucrative production company, which was behind their hit Netflix documentary.

The power couple also have a number of commercial deals with the likes of Adidas, Pepsi, Armani, Coty, which made Beckham’s Instinct aftershave, and the Las Vegas Sands hotel group.

But the biggest increase in the Manchester United legend’s wealth was because of his US football club Inter Miami, which he created in 2018 and owns a 26 per cent stake of.

The hugely popular club is continuously growing thanks to its star players like Lionel Messi and fellow ex-Barcelona star Luis Suarez.

Source link