freed

Kashmiri activist Khurram Parvez and journalist Irfan Mehraj freed on bail | Human Rights News

Indian authorities release the two men after years in prison although both remain under tight court-imposed restrictions.

Indian authorities have released prominent Kashmiri human rights activist Khurram Parvez and journalist Irfan Mehraj on bail after years in prison on “terrorism” financing charges although both remain under tight court-imposed restrictions.

The two men walked free from a New Delhi jail late on Wednesday, their relatives said, as India’s National Investigation Agency seeks to overturn their bail – the latest chapter in what rights groups call New Delhi’s sweeping crackdown on activists, journalists and dissidents in India-administered Kashmir since 2019 when it scrapped the region’s autonomy, granted under the Indian Constitution.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

Parvez, programme coordinator for the Jammu Kashmir Coalition of Civil Society (JKCCS), was arrested in 2021 by the National Investigation Agency at his home in Srinagar.

Mehraj, a freelance journalist who worked with the same rights group as a researcher, was arrested in 2023.

Both face charges of “funding terrorism” and “propagation of secessionist agenda” under India’s stringent “antiterrorism” laws, which in effect allow authorities to hold people without trial indefinitely.

The National Investigation Agency accuses the two of using the JKCCS to fund militant-linked activities and promote a separatist agenda. Both men deny the allegations.

A lower court granted them bail last week, but the agency appealed. The Delhi High Court refused on Tuesday to suspend the release order although it imposed tougher restrictions on the men’s movements and activities while it hears the appeal.

Under their bail conditions, the two must arrange their own stay in the capital, where they are facing trial, and cannot travel to Kashmir, according to a court document seen by the news agency AFP. Proceedings in the case will continue in the coming weeks.

Human rights violations

The JKCCS has for decades documented alleged rights violations by Indian government forces in Kashmir, including torture and unlawful killings, and has drawn attention to thousands of unmarked graves in border areas suspected of holding victims of “enforced disappearances”.

International rights groups, including the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, have consistently called for the men’s release, saying they were jailed for their work.

In 2023, the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention said Parvez’s arrest was an “act of reprisal for his human rights work, and an attempt to silence him and Kashmiri civil society as a whole”.

After their release, the Paris-based International Federation for Human Rights and the World Organisation Against Torture said the two were arrested on “trumped-up charges” and called on Indian authorities to drop the case, describing the proceedings as politically motivated.

Journalists in Indian-administered Kashmir say they have faced harassment and arrests since Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government annulled the region’s partial autonomy.

From 2019 to 2023, more than 3,600 people were arrested there under “antiterrorism” laws, more than half of whom remain in prison, according to government figures.

Muslim-majority Kashmir has been divided between India and Pakistan since their independence from British rule in 1947. Both countries claim the territory in full.

Rebel groups have fought the Indian government since 1989, demanding independence or a merger with Pakistan. The conflict has killed tens of thousands of people, mostly civilians.

Source link

Lee Andrews is FREED from jail for a second time

LEE Andrews has been FREED from jail for a second time – but his dad remains behind bars in Dubai.

Conman Lee’s father Pete joined him in the notorious Al Awir prison last week after being reported to officials by a third party.

Lee Andrews has been freed from jail in Dubai Credit: Cameo
However his dad Pete remains behind bars Credit: wesleeeandrews/Instagram

But according to our sources, Katie Price‘s husband has now been let out.

An insider told The Sun: “Lee Andrews has today been released from Al Awir prison.

“He was set free this afternoon following a short-stint behind bars.

“His dad Pete, who has been caught up in Lee’s misdemeanours, remains behind bars.”

LOVE RAT

I exposed Lee Andrews trying to flog Katie sex tape, it gets worse… read new texts


ELLIE HENMAN

If you need further proof of how vile Lee Andrews really is, read this

Lee is married to Katie Price Credit: Instagram
Lee was being held at the notorious Al-Awir jail in Dubai Credit: AFP

During their stint in jail, together, father and son were understood to have seen one another inside the jail, with both believed to be facing allegations of fraud.

Sources said that Lee had to raise funds to pay off his debts, before he could be released, from where he faces extradition.

He now hopes to return to the UK, to be with his wife.

Last week The Sun revealed how sources said patient Katie has finally snapped – and is now “at the end of her tether”.

A pal said: “It is quite astonishing – you really couldn’t make this up.

“Whether poor Katie will be there to greet him on the other side remains to be seen.

“Right now she is furious with it all, and fed up with all the drama and white noise her husband is bringing.”

Lee has had a raft of damning allegations levelled against him, including ex-girlfriends who have gone on the record to share their horror stories at his hands.

He has also been accused of conning people out of thousands of pounds – claims he denies.

Lee and Katie married in January, just 10 days after meeting.

In May, he was taken by cops and, he claims, taken to a black site for questioning.

It was later discovered he was in Al-Awir prison, where he remained for one month before being released and having an emotional reunion with wife Katie.

Source link

‘We were herded like animals’: Freed from Boko Haram captivity | Boko Haram News

More than 360 people abducted by Boko Haram have been rescued in northeastern Nigeria. Former captives recount months of hardship, while families of those still missing say they are running out of answers for children waiting for their parents to return.

Source link

Freed 360 Victims of Ngoshe Abduction Awaiting Family Reunion

Nigerian troops say they have rescued 360 people abducted during a deadly terrorist attack on Ngoshe, a resettled community in Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State, northeastern Nigeria, more than three months after terrorists overran the town, killing residents and forcing thousands to flee.

Solomon Ali Talake, a primary school teacher and survivor of the March 3 attack, said community members had received information about the rescue.

“I was told they have been rescued,” Solomon told HumAngle on Sunday. “Families have been informed, but they have not allowed us to see them yet. They said they are assessing them and will release them to their families afterwards.”

The March 3 attack on Ngoshe was one of the deadliest assaults on a resettled community in southern Borno in recent months. Residents said the attackers first struck a military formation in the town before moving into the community. Homes were set ablaze, civilians were killed, and hundreds of residents were reportedly abducted.

Solomon survived by hiding in a tree throughout the night while the attack unfolded beneath him. From his hiding place, he watched as gunmen moved through the community, burning houses and pursuing fleeing residents.

The attack displaced thousands of people, many of whom fled to Pulka, a neighbouring community about 12 kilometres away. Others sought refuge in Maiduguri, Cameroon, and other locations. The exact number of people killed or abducted remains disputed. While some media reports estimated that about 100 people were killed and more than 300 abducted, residents told HumAngle that the scale of the attack made precise figures difficult to establish. Victims were later buried in a mass grave, according to survivors.

Among those abducted were two of Solomon’s nephews, aged 14 and 11. On Sunday, he said he had not yet been able to confirm whether they were among those rescued.

Asabe Ali Talake, Solomon’s sister and the children’s mother, also said she had received reports of the rescue but remained uncertain about the fate of her children.

Asabe said she was still waiting for confirmation from authorities. Relatives of the freed victims say communication with them remains restricted while security agencies conduct assessments.

Military authorities typically screen and profile people freed from insurgent-controlled territories before reuniting them with their families. The process is intended to establish identities, assess physical and psychological conditions, and determine whether further investigation or rehabilitation may be required.

This comes amid a broader wave of insecurity affecting communities across Borno State. In recent months, terrorists have launched repeated attacks on military formations, reconstruction projects, and resettled communities, raising concerns about the sustainability of government resettlement efforts in conflict-affected areas.

Part of a broader rescue effort

A politician from Gwoza, who spoke to HumAngle on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to discuss the matter publicly and who was involved in advocacy efforts for the victims’ release, claimed a ransom was demanded for the release of the victims. HumAngle could not independently verify the claim, and the military has not publicly indicated that any negotiations took place. 

This development is the latest in a series of operations by troops of Operation Hadin Kai targeting terrorist enclaves in the Mandara Mountains and surrounding areas.

Three days earlier, troops rescued a woman and her infant child after killing several terrorists. On May 1, troops rescued six abductees during an operation around the Mandara Mountains. Six more victims were rescued on May 14. In April, 12 victims, including men, women, and children, escaped during a military operation targeting a terrorist camp.

The latest operation, however, represents the largest reported release linked to the March 3 attack on Ngoshe, offering renewed hope to families who have spent months waiting for news of their relatives.

While military authorities described the operation as a rescue, questions remain about how the victims regained their freedom.

Nigerian troops have rescued 360 people abducted during a terrorist attack on the resettled community of Ngoshe in Gwoza, Borno State, over three months after the attack.

The March 3 assault was one of the deadliest, with homes destroyed, civilians killed, and hundreds taken hostage, displacing thousands to nearby areas.

Survivors like Solomon Ali Talake reported receiving news of the rescue, though they have yet to reunite with the freed individuals, including his nephews. Authorities are evaluating the rescued individuals before reuniting them with their families to ensure proper identification and assess any need for rehabilitation.

The rescue is part of broader operations by Operation Hadin Kai aimed at dismantling terrorist strongholds in the region.

A local politician suggested a ransom was involved, though this remains unverified. This largest reported rescue related to the Ngoshe attack provides hope to families anxiously awaiting news of their loved ones.

Source link