Duterte

Two Philippine senators named ‘co-perpetrators’ in Duterte ICC case | Rodrigo Duterte News

Former Philippine justice secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II also among eight current, past officials named in complaint.

Two sitting Philippine senators have been identified as “co-perpetrators” in former president Rodrigo Duterte‘s crimes against humanity trial at the International Criminal Court (ICC), documents released by prosecutors show.

Senators Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa and Christopher “Bong” Go are among eight current and former officials named in a document dated February 13 and posted to the court’s website late on Friday.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Duterte was arrested in the Philippines’ capital, Manila, in March 2025, and was swiftly flown to the Netherlands, where he has been held in ICC custody at The Hague. The 80-year-old insists his arrest was unlawful.

ICC prosecutors have charged him with three counts of crimes against humanity, alleging his involvement in at least 76 murders as part of his “war on drugs”.

“Duterte and his co-perpetrators shared a common plan or agreement to ‘neutralise’ alleged criminals in the Philippines [including those perceived or alleged to be associated with drug use, sale or production] through violent crimes including murder,” the prosecution document reads.

Dela Rosa, the former national police chief and enforcer of Duterte’s drug war, has previously said he believed he faced potential arrest and has been in hiding for months.

Go, re-elected in May in a landslide victory, was a key lieutenant of Duterte during both the latter’s terms as mayor of southern Davao City and as president from 2016 to 2022.

A representative of Dela Rosa said they had not yet seen the document. Go has yet to comment on the latest development.

It was not immediately clear if any of the men named in the prosecution document would face charges in court.

In a statement posted on Facebook, Kristina Conti, lawyer of several of the deceased victims’ families, noted that it’s the first time “significant details” were disclosed by the ICC to the public.

She said the inclusion of several high-ranking officials under Duterte showed that the deadly drug war under his presidency “was crafted not only to ensure implementation, but to ensure impunity”.

“The involvement of those in the investigating units, which should have acted as the killings happen, is material to the plan. This also emphasizes that the ‘war on drugs’ began in Davao,” Conti said.

Duterte is facing a four-day “confirmation of charges” hearing from February 23, in which judges will decide whether the prosecution’s allegations are strong enough to proceed to trial.

Judges have rejected arguments that the 80-year-old, who was arrested in March last year and transferred to the Netherlands the same day, was unfit to stand trial.

Go and Dela Rosa have been named as co-perpetrators in acts that took place during Duterte’s tenures as Davao mayor and president.

Former Philippine justice secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II, who served as a lawyer for Duterte in cases involving the so-called “Davao Death Squad”, is also among the eight men named.

Ross Tugade, an ICC-accredited lawyer from the Philippines, said in a post on Facebook that the inclusion of the names of former Duterte officials indicates “that the ICC has evidence” to show a “criminal structure” in the commission of the alleged crimes.

The first of three counts against Duterte concerns his alleged involvement as a co-perpetrator in 19 murders carried out between 2013 and 2016 while he was mayor of Davao City.

The second relates to 14 murders of so-called “High Value Targets” in 2016 and 2017 when Duterte was president.

The third charge covers 43 murders committed during “clearance” operations of lower-level alleged drug users or pushers.

These took place across the Philippines between 2016 and 2018, the prosecution alleged.

The ICC also on Friday allowed the addition of 500 more complainants against Duterte in the trial.

This handout photo taken and released by the Presidential Photographers Division (PPD) on May 3, 2017 shows President Rodrigo Duterte (R, wearing earphones) talking on the phone with Chinese President Xi Jinping while presidential special assistant Bong Go listens in Davao City, southern island of Mindanao. China's President Xi Jinping on May 3 hailed the "dialogue" between Beijing and Manila over their border dispute in the South China Sea during a phone call with Philippine leader Rodrigo Duterte, state media reported. (Photo by Handout / PPD / AFP) / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / PRESIDENTIAL PHOTOGRAPHERS DIVISION" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS
Philippine Senator Christopher Go (left) served as the closest aide to Duterte since he was mayor of the southern city of Davao until his time as president of the Philippines [File: Handout Photo/PPD via AFP]

Source link

ICC: Rodrigo Duterte fit for pre-trial hearings

Relatives of victims of alleged extra-judicial killings during the war on drugs campaign of former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte hold signs after watching a broadcast of an International Criminal Court Appeals Chamber hearing, in Quezon City, Manila, Philippines, in November. The ICC ruled Monday that Duterte is fit for pre-trial hearings. File Photo by Rolex Dela Pena/EPA

Jan. 26 (UPI) — The International Criminal Court ruled Monday that former Philippine President Rodrigo Roa Duterte is fit to take part in pre-trial court proceedings and scheduled a hearing for Feb. 23.

Duterte’s defense team asked for an indefinite adjournment of the case because of his health, alleging that he wouldn’t be able to participate in his defense. The court had a panel of three medical experts to examine him. The panel sent a report on Dec. 5 with its observations, and the court said it was satisfied that Duterte was fit for pre-trial proceedings.

The Feb. 23 hearings will decide if there is enough evidence to charge Duterte. If the court decides the charges are valid, it will transfer the case to the trial phase.

Duterte, 80, is facing charges of crimes against humanity for alleged extra-judicial killings of suspected drug dealers and users in the Philippines.

In March 2025, Duterte was arrested in Manila on the ICC’s warrant after the ICC began a formal investigation in September 2021. In October, the court denied his release because he was deemed a flight risk and said he must remain jailed in the Netherlands. The national police in the Philippines say Duterte killed about 6,000 people in his war on drugs, but human rights groups say he killed 30,000.

Source link