Get the latest updates on your favorite sports, from thrilling matches and championship events to player transfers and team rivalries. Dive into insightful analysis, expert opinions, and behind-the-scenes stories that bring you closer to the world of sports.
At least one member of the club’s executive team has actively raised the option of ending Frank’s reign in recent weeks.
Spurs are 14th in the Premier League, having won just seven of their 22 games this season, and large sections of the supporters seem to have already lost faith in the former Brentford boss.
He was taunted by his own fans with chants of “you’re getting sacked in the morning” at the weekend, but Frank believes he can win back the supporters’ faith.
“As long as we win football matches and make sure we win enough of them, everyone will support us,” he said.
“It is not about me. It is about supporting the team, the players.”
Frank added he only has 11 outfield players from the usual first-team squad available for the match against Dortmund.
He said: “We need everyone to support us from minute one. Especially the team, especially the players. If we get that support, anything can happen. Magic can happen.”
Tottenham are 11th in the Champions League and a win against Dortmund is vital to continue their hopes of qualifying automatically for the knockout stages.
Scotland’s Paul Foster and Alex Marshall have become World Indoor Bowls pairs champions together for the fifth time.
They defeated compatriots and two-time winners Stuart Anderson and Darren Burnett 11-5 12-7 in a final between four players who have all won the world singles title.
It is Foster and Marshall’s first pairs title since 2019 and leaves them one behind England’s Tony Allcock and David Bryant, who won it six times between 1986 and 1992.
Asked about their continuing success, Foster told BBC Sport: “My hunger will not change and Alex is the same.
“Age is just a number and I’m just delighted to win this again.
“Stuart and Darren probably didn’t play as well as they can, but their record is formidable.”
Marshall, who has now won the pairs seven times to his partner’s six, paid tribute to Foster, saying he was “absolutely phenomenal”.
Anderson had been given a fright earlier in the day before winning his first-round singles game 2-1 against fellow Scotsman Martyn Rice but was not using that as excuse for his pairs defeat.
Burnett, meanwhile, said of Foster and Marshall, “they were exceptional”.
All four pairs finalists are through to the second round of the singles.
Hi, and welcome to another edition of Prep Rally. I’m Eric Sondheimer. The Clippers continue to seek out stories from residents in Los Angeles County about what basketball has meant to them. They are awarding free outside basketball hoops in celebration of the NBA All-Star Game coming to Intuit Dome on Feb. 15.
Get our high school sports newsletter
Prep Rally is devoted to the SoCal high school sports experience, bringing you scores, stories and a behind-the-scenes look at what makes prep sports so popular.
People in Los Angeles are telling their stories to the Clippers about what basketball has meant to them.
“Having a basketball hoop would mean so much to me because it would help honor my dad and keep our memories alive. In 2021, when I was just 8 years old, my dad lost his battle to kidney disease while waiting for a kidney transplant. His passing changed my life forever, but basketball has helped me stay connected to him. Basketball has always been a huge part of my family, and my dad is the reason I play today. He introduced me to the game, supported me every step of the way, and was a huge Los Angeles Clippers fan.”
—
“A new hoop will make a huge difference for my family as both my 10-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter are actively participating in recreational and club basketball leagues. Our current backboard is cracked and glued back and the supporting base has multiple huge cracks, the days are numbered for my current hoop. Both my wife and I are recently laid off from our jobs, getting a new hoop is not within our budget. I also coach both my son and daughter for their respective teams, it would mean a lot if we are able to practice together with the new hoop at our home and basketball truly means family bonding time for us. Basketball is a way for me to teach my kids skills and life lessons as a parent and a coach, and I wish that they can continue to learn from me for as long as I’m able to teach them.”
—
“On January 7th, our family lost our home and all of our belongings in the Eaton Fire. It has been a long and emotional journey, but our home is finally close to being rebuilt. As we work on creating a fresh start, we are focusing on bringing joy and togetherness back into our lives. One of the things I look forward to most is spending time with my grandkids when they come to visit. Having a Clippers basketball hoop would give us a special place to play, bond, and create new memories after everything we have been through.”
—
“My name is Dominic, and I am 10 years old. When I was 2 years old, I was placed in the foster care system. I stayed in different homes until I was 7, and that was also the year I moved in with my grandparents as a foster child. It was a hard time in my life, especially because that was also the year my father passed away. When I was 7, I also discovered something that changed everything for me — basketball. I started playing to help me deal with stress and to take my mind off the things that hurt me the most. Whenever I’m on the court, I feel free. I feel strong. I feel like myself. I’ve been playing basketball from the age of 7 until now, and it has become a huge part of my life. I’m really inspired by my coaches at Obergon Park, Los Angeles County Park, where I play every season. The fee to play is low, and without that, I probably wouldn’t have had this chance. My coaches believe in me so much, and that pushes me to keep going and keep getting better. Basketball has helped me grow, stay focused, and stay positive. That’s why getting a basketball hoop would mean a lot to me. It would give me a chance to practice more, get stronger, and keep doing something that helps me every single day.”
The Clippers are hoping to give out 5,600 outside hoops and there’s plenty left, so tell your stories here.
Boys basketball
Devin Wright drives to the basket during his 23-point effort against Mira Costa on Friday.
(Steve Galluzzo / For The Times)
It’s a big week ahead in boys basketball. Harvard-Westlake (21-2) faces two challenging Mission League games, first at No. 1 Sierra Canyon on Wednesday (good luck on getting a ticket), then hosting Sherman Oaks Notre Dame on Saturday.
Redondo Union took control of the Bay League title race by routing rival Mira Costa behind Devin Wright. Here’s the report. Wright had a big weekend, also scoring 31 points in a win over JSerra.
Calabasas came away with a double overtime win over Oaks Christian on a three at the buzzer by Noah Simon. It was the first Marmonte League loss to Oaks Christian since the 2023-24 season.
NaVorro Bowman of Sherman Oaks Notre Dame goes up for shot against St. Francis.
(Craig Weston)
Sherman Oaks Notre Dame turned up the defensive pressure and blew out St. Francis 71-48 by containing 7-foot-4 center Cherif Milloga. Here’s the report.
After watching Notre Dame players push, grab and pull Milloga all night with the officials doing little to stop them, the question becomes: Why is a 7-4 center being treated differently than a 6-8 or smaller center? Fouls would have been called if Notre Dame’s aggressive defenders were using the same tactics against smaller players. Officials are going to need to study long and hard how to deal with Milloga if St. Francis makes the playoffs.
Notre Dame’s Josiah Nance, left, and St. Francis’ Cherif Millogo battle for position in the paint during a recent game.
(Craig Weston)
There’s nothing in the rulebook that says to treat 7-4 centers differently and let the defenders batter him. And the Mission League tournament will be an interesting test case to see if things change. At least Milloga learned a lesson. He was called for three offensive fouls showing his frustration with the physicality of the defense.
Crossroads has moved into position to be the Gold Coast League favorite with wins over Brentwood and Windward. The addition of Shalen Sheppard from Brentwood has been big, and now Mater Dei transfer Evan Willis is back from an injury. He had 12 points and 10 rebounds in the 56-46 win over Windward.
Rodney Westmoreland of Santa Margarita made a crazy, off-balance three at the buzzer to give Santa Margarita a three-point win over JSerra.
A trip back east for the Hoophall Classic didn’t go well for Ontario Christian and Sierra Canyon, both of whom were beaten respectively by East Coast powers Bishop McNamara from Maryland and Long Island Lutheran from New York. It was Ontario Christian’s first defeat after 21 consecutive wins and Sierra Canyon suffered only its second defeat. Kaleena Smith had 25 points for Ontario Christian and Jerzy Robinson scored 33 points for Sierra Canyon.
Mater Dei won its game on Friday at the Hoophall Classic.
No. 2 Bishop McNamara (MD) def. no. 1 Ontario Christian (CA) 57-55 on a WILD final sequence!
In a key City Section girls’ soccer match, Cleveland and Granada Hills fought to a 1-1 tie. Cleveland remains the City title favorite. El Camino Real came through with a 1-0 win over Granada Hills on a goal by Jordyn Kogan, the daughter of ECR boys coach Ian Kogan.
The most recent member of the Kogan Family has arrived & is making an impact on ECR Girls Soccer. Jordyn Kogan scores the go ahead header to help bring a 1-0 win against Granada Hills tonight.
Daughter of Ian Kogan. Current teacher & CIF Championship Coach for the boys program. pic.twitter.com/SJBwBQ61nN
— ECR Athletics Alumni Updates ~~ (@ecrathletics) January 17, 2026
No. 1-ranked Santa Margarita (13-0) will have its unbeaten record challenged by Mater Dei on Monday.
Cathedral (11-2-2) showed that it intends to win the Del Rey League this season after a 6-1 blitz of defending champion Bishop Amat.. Then the Phantoms played rival Salesian to a 0-0 tie.
The first CIF state championships in boys and girls soccer are set for March 13-14 in Sacramento at the same time as basketball championships. Soccer will be held at Natomas HS. 10 championship games for boys and girls from Division 1 through 5.
Carson’s Marco Cruz scored three goals in the Colts’ 3-2 win over San Pedro.
The first CIF state soccer championships will be held March 13-14 in Sacramento. There will be five divisions for boys and five for girls. It will be held the same time as the basketball championship. A big problem is that the state cup for boys club teams begins on March 14, and that will create issues for several players.
Chris Fields III gets ready
Carson quarterback Chris Fields III, the City Section offensive player of the year, is already preparing for 2026.
(Craig Weston)
Quarterback Chris Fields III, the City Section offensive player of the year, is already preparing for the 2026 season by trying to get faster and stronger.
Drew Anderson of Santa Margarita is a former JV player committed to Oregon State.
(Nick Koza)
There’s not many schools left that use their junior varsity basketball teams for development, but there are plenty of success stories.
Three of the stars from this season — Drew Anderson of Santa Margarita, Pierce Thompson of Harvard-Westlake and Isaiah Williamson of Los Alamitios — started out as freshmen on their JV team.
Long Beach Poly grad Travon Patterson has been hired as the school’s new football coach. He was hired as receivers coach three years ago. He also played for USC. . . .
St. Bernard has become the latest private school looking for a new football coach. There’s been openings at Bishop Montgomery, Bishop Alemany, JSerra, St. Paul and St. Francis. . . .
Joe Podzimek is the new softball coach at Bishop Montgomery. . . .
A high school basketball player in Arizona scored 100 points in a game. Here’s the report. . . .
New UCLA football coach Bob Chesney and several of his assistants were at Mater Dei on Thursday for the opening of off-season drills, a sign the Bruins are no longer going to allow the school’s top athletes to pick USC without competition. They also visited St. John Bosco, Bellflower and Orange Lutheran last week, among other schools . . .
Pete Smolin is the new football coach at Don Lugo. . . .
Aaryn Washington, a junior cornerback at Mater Dei committed to USC, announced he will play his senior season for IMG Academy in Florida. . . .
Jake Brande, a 6-foot-7 pitcher at Palm Desert committed to Cal Poly, has transferred to Rancho Christian after the family decided to move to Temecula following the death of his brother, Johnny, from cancer.
Former Loyola High offensive lineman Coleman Shelton has been one of the unsung heroes for the Rams playing center and helping Matthew Stafford have an MVP-like season. He was at Washington for five years and went undrafted in 2018. He’s been in the NFL since signing as a free agent and won a Super Bowl with the Rams.
From the Washington Post, a story on the rising prices to participate in youth sports.
From the San Gabriel Valley Tribune, a story on former Taft coach Derrick Taylor getting Blair into the Rio Hondo League title hunt.
From KTLA, a story on how San Juan Hills football coach Robert Frith had his life saved by an off duty fire fighter.
From the San Diego Union-Tribune, a story on a star high school football player in San Diego who says “almost the whole Trinity League” tried to recruit him.
Tweets you might have missed
St. Bernard is the latest private school to have an opening for football coach, joining Bishop Montgomery. Both hit rock bottom after the Money Man tried to help. St. Bernard has had a team the last two years and top athletic facilities are coming. pic.twitter.com/SI5WQYSuwy
High schools are not allowed to recruit other teams’ players. What should CIF do to prevent something that’s going on year after year without consequences?
Have a question, comment or something you’d like to see in a future Prep Rally newsletter? Email me at eric.sondheimer@latimes.com, and follow me on Twitter at @latsondheimer.
Did you get this newsletter forwarded to you? To sign up and get it in your inbox, click here.
Hugo Keenan will not see action for Leinster United Rugby Championship game against Connacht in Galway on Saturday [17:30 GMT] but the news is positive for the Ireland international, who is battling back from injury.
Keenan scored the winning try for the British and Irish Lions in their second Test against Australia to seal the series win last summer and underwent hip surgery upon his return home.
The 29-year-old full-back has yet to feature for club or country since, but has stepped up his on-field training with Leinster alongside Jamie Osbourne, who has been out with a shoulder injury sustained during Ireland’s win over Japan in November.
Both are close to a return to action, which will be good news for Ireland head coach Andy Farrell, who is due to announce his squad for the Six Nations on Wednesday ahead of the opening game away to France on 5 February.
Elsewhere, Ciaran Frawley and Jack Conan will be available this week as they return to training, while Jimmy O’Brien (hamstring), Robbie Henshaw (knee), Tommy O’Brien (calf) and Tadhg Furlong (calf) will be assessed late in the week.
There are no further updates on Ryan Baird, Jordan Larmour, Paddy McCarthy, Andrew Porter and Rabah Slimani.
Like Swiatek, Gauff also had issues with her serve in the first round as she committed seven double faults against Uzbekistan’s Kamilla Rakhimova.
Three of those came in the opening game, but Gauff said it was “smooth sailing from there”.
“I think I just erased that first game, and then after that I was better,” she said following the 6-2 6-3 win – her 75th Grand Slam match-win.
The two-time major singles winner added: “I tried not to put too much pressure on myself. I am only satisfied if I win, but I am proud of myself regardless of how I get on.”
Gauff, 21, will face Olga Danilovic next after the Serb defeated 45-year-old Venus Williams on Sunday.
American fourth seed Anisimova, meanwhile, needed just 60 minutes to beat Switzerland’s Simona Waltert 6-3 6-2 and underline her title credentials.
After runs to the US Open and Wimbledon final last season, Anisimova is one of the favourites go all the way in Melbourne, but she insisted she was focusing on improving as a player rather than a third successive Grand Slam final.
Fellow American Pegula, the sixth seed, also impressed with a 66-minute 6-2 6-1 victory over Russian Anastasia Zakharova.
Russian teenager Mirra Andreeva – another title contender – found herself a set down in her first-round tie against Croatia’s Donna Vekic, but the eighth seed rallied in set two and won the decider 6-0, winning 25 of the 32 points on offer.
The Rams advanced to the NFC championship game with a 20-17 overtime victory against the Chicago Bears on Sunday.
The win sets up a rematch between the Rams and Seattle Seahawks, a team they beat — and lost to — during the regular season. If the Rams defeat the Seahawks, they will advance to Super Bowl LX at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara on Feb. 8.