Tim

Ventura coach Tim Garcia and his QB son celebrate Division 6 championship

In a matter of weeks, Ventura High football coach Tim Garcia will help move his son, quarterback Derek Garcia, into the dorms at Nevada Las Vegas. They’re having one last hurrah, and the memories are going to be priceless.

On Saturday night, Ventura won the Southern Section Division 6 football championship with a 63-28 win over St. Pius X-St. Matthias. It means Ventura’s season keeps going with next week’s state regional playoffs to be announced on Sunday.

Derek passed for 288 yards and one touchdown. Dad was also happy that running back James Watson had 247 yards rushing and four touchdowns.

Earlier this week at the championship luncheon, the Garcias were smiling even though the coach/son role will soon be ending at Ventura. It’s a rite of passage leaving the nest for the son to explore the world.

Derek is thankful he’s had his father at his side for four years of fun and excitement, and what a way to celebrate with a Southern Section championship and maybe even more.

This is a daily look at the positive happenings in high school sports. To submit any news, please email [email protected].

Source link

Rep. Tim Ryan decides not to run for Ohio governor

Nov. 21 (UPI) — Former U.S. Rep. Tim Ryan, D-Ohio, has decided not to run for governor of his state in 2026.

“After careful consideration, much prayer and reflection, and after long conversations with my family, my closest friends and advisors, I’ve made the decision not to run for governor in 2026,” Ryan said in a statement.

His bowing out will ease the path for former state health director Amy Acton, who will likely be the nominee against Republican Vivek Ramaswamy, who is endorsed by President Donald Trump.

Gov. Mike DeWine can’t run again due to term limits.

Ryan has faced criticism from Democrats for his ties to cryptocurrency. He represented some of the Akron and Youngstown areas for 20 years in Congress and ran for Senate in 2021, but lost to Vice President JD Vance.

Recently, he has been considering running for governor. An advisor said Ryan’s interest in running for governor was “renewed and heightened” by former U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown‘s decision to run for Senate again instead of Ohio governor, Cleveland.com reported.

Ryan ran for president in 2019.

Source link

BBC boss Tim Davie resigns after criticism over Trump speech edit | Media News

Davie’s exit caps a week of attacks on Britain’s public broadcaster, with Trump’s press secretary describing BBC as ‘100 percent fake news’.

The director-general of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) has resigned after a row over the editing of a speech made by US President Donald Trump on the day of the 2021 attack on the United States Capitol.

Sunday’s joint resignations of Tim Davie and head of news Deborah Turness capped a turbulent week of accusations that the broadcaster edited a speech Trump made on January 6, 2021, to make it appear as if he encouraged the riots that followed his defeat in the 2020 presidential election.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Davie said he took “ultimate responsibility” for mistakes made, saying that quitting his role at the helm of the public broadcaster after five years was “entirely my decision”.

“I have been reflecting on the very intense personal and professional demands of managing this role over many years in these febrile times, combined with the fact that I want to give a successor time to help shape the charter plans they will be delivering,” he said.

A documentary by flagship programme Panorama aired a week before last year’s US election, splicing together clips of Trump’s speech uttered at different points.

The edit made it seem as if Trump said: “We’re going to walk down to the Capitol and I’ll be there with you, and we fight. We fight like hell.”

Critics said it was misleading as it cut out a section where Trump said he wanted supporters to demonstrate peacefully.

‘Buck stops with me’

Turness said the controversy about the Trump documentary “has reached a stage where it is causing damage to the BBC – an institution that I love”.

“As the CEO of BBC News and Current Affairs, the buck stops with me,” she added.

Earlier on Sunday, UK Culture, Media and Sport Minister Lisa Nandy called the allegations “incredibly serious”, saying there is a “systemic bias in the way that difficult issues are reported at the BBC”.

Reporting from London, Al Jazeera’s Rory Challands noted that the BBC has always been in a difficult position.

“It is pilloried by the right, who perceive it to be a hotbed of liberal bias. It’s pilloried by the left, who think that it kowtows to the establishment and pumps out government lines when it comes to things like Gaza, particularly, not holding the powerful to account as it should do as a broadcaster.”

 

Accusations of anti-Israel bias

The controversy, whipped up by UK right-wing media, reached the other side of the Atlantic with Trump’s press secretary Karoline Leavitt describing the BBC as “100 percent fake news” and a “propaganda machine” on Friday.

The story broke on Tuesday when The Daily Telegraph cited a memo complied by Michael Prescott, a former member of the BBC’s editorial standards committee, which raised concerns over the Trump edit, as well as criticising perceived anti-Israel bias in the BBC’s Arabic service.

On Saturday, the newspaper reported right-wing lawmaker Priti Patel, of the Conservative Party, demanded the UK Foreign Office review its funding of BBC Arabic through its grant for the BBC World Service, alleging “pro-Hamas and anti-Israel bias”.

The broadcaster has also been accused of giving Israel favourable coverage in its reporting of the war on Gaza, coming under criticism from its own staff.

Davie’s resignation was celebrated by Nigel Farage, leader of the populist hard-right Reform UK party, which is soaring in opinion polls.

“This is the BBC’s last chance. If they don’t get this right there will be vast numbers of people refusing to pay the licence fee,” Farage said on X.

Source link

Why has Tim Davie resigned and what was the Trump documentary edit?

PA Media Tim Davie, sitting on a panel, wearing a suit and gesturing with his hands as he talksPA Media

BBC director general Tim Davie and his head of news, Deborah Turness, have resigned.

The BBC had come under fire over a Panorama documentary that was accused of misleadingly editing a speech by Donald Trump to make it look like he was urging people to attack the US Capitol.

In emails to staff, both Davie and Turness said mistakes had been made.

Who are Tim Davie and Deborah Turness?

Tim Davie was appointed director general of the BBC in September 2020. He is in charge of overseeing the corporation’s services and was its editorial, operational and creative leader.

He was not a new figure to the BBC; prior to becoming director general, he had been chief executive of BBC Studios for seven years.

Before joining the BBC, Davie worked for organisations such as Procter and Gamble, and PepsiCo.

Deborah Turness had been the CEO of BBC News since 2022, overseeing BBC News and current affairs programmes

In her role, she had responsibility for a team of around 6,000 people, broadcasting to almost half a billion people across the world in more than 40 languages.

She was previously CEO of ITN and was president of NBC News from 2013.

Why have they resigned?

Their departures come after controversy over a Panorama documentary called Trump: A Second Chance?, which was broadcast last year.

In her statement, Turness said: “The ongoing controversy around the Panorama on President Trump has reached a stage where it is causing damage to the BBC – an institution that I love.

“As the CEO of BBC News and Current Affairs, the buck stops with me – and I took the decision to offer my resignation to the director general last night.”

She added: “While mistakes have been made, I want to be absolutely clear recent allegations that BBC News is institutionally biased are wrong.”

Davie did not mention the Panorama documentary in his statement, although said: “While not being the only reason, the current debate around BBC News has understandably contributed to my decision.

“Overall the BBC is delivering well, but there have been some mistakes made and as director general I have to take ultimate responsibility.”

What were the claims over the Trump documentary?

Last week, the Daily Telegraph published an exclusive report, saying it had seen a leaked internal BBC memo.

The memo came from Michael Prescott, a former independent external adviser to the broadcaster’s editorial standards committee. He left the role in June.

The memo suggested that the one-hour Panorama documentary had edited parts of Trump’s speech together so he appeared to explicitly encourage the Capitol Hill riots of January 2021.

In his speech in Washington DC on 6 January 2021, Trump said: “We’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women.”

However, in the Panorama edit he was shown saying: “We’re going to walk down to the Capitol… and I’ll be there with you. And we fight. We fight like hell.”

The two sections of the speech that were edited together were more than 50 minutes apart.

The “fight like hell” comment was taken from a section where Trump discussed how “corrupt” US elections were. In total, he used the words “fight” or “fighting” 20 times in the speech.

According to the Telegraph, the document said Panorama’s “distortion of the day’s events” would leave viewers asking: “Why should the BBC be trusted, and where will this all end?”

When the issue was raised with managers, the memo continued, they “refused to accept there had been a breach of standards”.

The BBC has come under scrutiny over a number of other different issues in recent weeks.

The Telegraph also reported that Mr Prescott raised concerns about a lack of action to address “systemic problems” of anti-Israel bias in the coverage of the Gaza war by the BBC Arabic news service.

The report also said Mr Prescott had raised concerns about the BBC’s coverage around trans issues.

And on Thursday, the BBC upheld 20 impartiality complaints over the way presenter Martine Croxall earlier this year altered a script she was reading live on the BBC News Channel, which referred to “pregnant people”.

Why did Davie resign now?

Tim Davie has weathered many scandals and crises during his five years at the helm of the BBC – including the Gary Lineker furore, Bob Vylan at Glastonbury, the Gaza: How To Survive A Warzone documentary, and the transgressions of a string of high-profile presenters.

Davie was nicknamed “Teflon Tim” by some in the media because nothing seemed to stick.

He had tried to ride out the latest controversy, too, but it has gathered steam and the BBC was expected to issue an apology tomorrow over the Panorama documentary.

This comes at a sensitive time for the BBC, with the government set to review the corporation’s Royal Charter – which essentially gives it the right to exist – before the current term expires in 2027.

In his statement, Davie said: “You will ask why now, why this moment?”

He said he was “BBC through and through”, and cares deeply about the corporation and wants it to succeed.

“That is why I want to create the best conditions and space for a new DG to come in and positively shape the next Royal Charter. I hope that as we move forward, a sensible, calm and rational public conversation can take place about the next chapter of the BBC.”

He added: “This timing allows a new DG to help shape the next Charter. I believe we are in a strong position to deliver growth.”

How will the BBC choose Davie’s replacement?

The director general is appointed by the BBC Board, which is responsible for ensuring it delivers the corporation’s mission and public purposes.

The BBC Board is led by chair Samir Shah and he is one of 10 non-executive members, plus four executive members, including the director general.

When Davie was appointed in 2020, the process for choosing who would get the role was led by the BBC Board’s nominations committee.

The director general’s appointment is made under the terms of the BBC’s Charter.

Davie’s successor will be the 18th director general in the BBC’s 103-year history.

Names who have been rumoured as potential contenders in the running include Charlotte Moore, the BBC’s recently-departed chief content officer who was in charge of all programming except news, overseeing hits including The Traitors, The Wheel and Happy Valley.

Other names include Jay Hunt, one of the most experienced executives in British TV, and James Harding, the BBC’s head of news from 2013 to 2018, who has experience dealing with difficult journalistic matters.

Source link