injures

Bangkok pub fire kills at least 27, injures many others

Rescue workers recover the bodies of fire victims outside the burned pub following a fire in Bangkok, Thailand, on Monday. At least 27 people were killed after a fire engulfed the pub, according to Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul. Photo by Rungroj Yongrit/EPA

July 12 (UPI) — An intense fire that ripped through a Bangkok pub early Monday killed at least 27 people and injured nearly 20 others, officials said as an investigation was launched into the cause of the blaze.

Authorities received a report of the fire at the Rong Beer Na Lat Phrao pub in Bangkok’s densely populated Chatuchak district at 12:02 a.m. local time, Thailand’s Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said in a statement.

“The fire was burning intensely,” according to the department, which said responders from various agencies worked to extinguish the blaze and rescue the injured and people trapped inside.

Videos of the bar’s entrance posted online show people screaming and running out of the establishment followed by flames erupting from the door.

Officials said the fire was brought under control by 12:32 a.m.

Images of the aftermath posted online by the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation show the charred remains of the bar’s interior.

A preliminary inspection of the scene found that 27 people had been killed, the department said. The identities have not been released, but the department said 18 were women and nine were men.

Of the 18 people injured, eight were listed as red cases, meaning they were either in critical or life-threatening condition, seven were labeled yellow for serious but stable condition and three were considered green cases with minor injuries, the department said in an update.

“Forensic investigators are examining the scene to determine the cause of the fire,” the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation said.

Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul arrived at the scene at about 1:30 a.m. and was joined by Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Director-General Teerapat Katchamat and Bangkok Gov. Chadchart Sittipunt.

Anutin told reporters at the scene that most fatalities were the result of smoke inhalation. He said that he was told by witnesses that the fire appeared to have started near a circuit breaker on the restaurant’s stage before the facility was plunged into darkness, the Bangkok Post reported.

Source link

Explosion at gas plant kills at least 13, injures dozens in Qatar

The logo of state-owned petroleum company QatarEnergy is shown in front of its headquarters in Doha, Qatar. An explosion at a liquefied natural gas plant in Qatar killed 13 and injured dozens Sunday. Photo by Hannibal Hanschke/EPA

June 22 (UPI) — An explosion at Qatar’s largest natural gas plant killed 13 people and injured about 66, authorities said.

The blast, caused by a technical malfunction, took place Sunday as the facility restarted its natural gas production after a shutdown caused by the Iran-U.S. war, authorities from the interior ministry said. It took place in the Ras Laffan industrial zone. The nearby Ras Laffan Port is the largest artificial harbor in the world and was targeted by Iranian strikes earlier this year, BBC News reported.

Saad Sherida al-Kaabi, Qatar’s energy minister, said that the explosion would not affect the country’s exports and that it was an accident and “not sabotage or hostile in nature.”

All of those killed were workers at the plant, The New York Times reported. They were all from India or Pakistan, BBC News said.

“We convey our deepest condolences to the families of those who have unfortunately passed away in the sad incident at Ras Laffan Industrial City last night,” the Embassy of India in Doha said in a social media post.

Liquified natural gas is important to Qatar’s economy, and the country is one of the world’s largest exporters of it. Ras Laffan is the largest site in the country for producing LNG. Qatar had ceased production earlier in the Iran-U.S. war and has said damage from attacks during the conflict could take years to repair.

The blast turned the city’s skyline orange and was felt by residents more than 43 miles away, BBC News said.

Source link

Qatar LNG factory explosion injures 54, leaves 18 missing, gov’t says | Energy

Blast at Ras Laffan Industrial City caused by ‘technical malfunction’, Ministry of Interior says.

An explosion at Qatar’s main liquefied natural gas processing facility has injured 54 people and left 18 others missing, authorities have said.

The Qatari International Search and Rescue Group were deployed to conduct search operations for those missing following the “internal explosion” at Ras Laffan Industrial City, Qatar’s Ministry of Interior said on Monday.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The ministry did not provide information on the conditions of those injured in the incident, which it blamed on a “technical malfunction”.

Officials had said earlier that civil defence teams responding to the scene had not recorded any injuries.

The ministry said there was no leakage from the facility that would pose a danger to public safety.

QatarEnergy, which administers the industrial hub, said emergency response teams were immediately deployed after the explosion at the Barzan factory and brought a fire at the facility under control.

Ras Laffan Industrial City, located about 80km (50 miles) north of Doha, is home to the world’s largest LNG export facility, producing about one-fifth of global supply.

In March, the Qatari government announced that the industrial hub had sustained “significant damage” after being targeted by Iranian missile and drone attacks.

QatarEnergy invoked the force majeure clause in some of its contracts to free itself from its supply obligations following the attacks, affecting customers ⁠in Italy, Belgium, South Korea ⁠and China.

Source link