Hezbollah

Netanyahu says Israel will forge regional alliance to rival ‘radical axes’ | Israel-Palestine conflict News

Israel to join with India, Greece, Cyprus and other Arab, African, Asian countries that ‘see eye to eye’, says PM.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has announced that Israel plans to build a network of allied nations in or around the Middle East to collectively stand against what he called “radical” adversaries.

Netanyahu made the comments on Sunday while announcing the upcoming visit to Israel of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, whose country the Israeli leader said would be part of the “axis of nations that see eye to eye” with Israel.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

Netanyahu, who is wanted by the International Criminal Court on war crimes charges, also referred to Greece, Cyprus and other unnamed Arab, African and Asian countries.

“In the vision I see before me, we will create an entire system, essentially a ‘hexagon’ of alliances around or within the Middle East,” Netanyahu said, according to the Times of Israel.

“The intention here is to create an axis of nations that see eye to eye on the reality, challenges, and goals against the radical axes, both the radical Shia axis, which we have struck very hard, and the emerging radical Sunni axis.”

Modi said he fully agrees with Netanyahu on the “bond between India and Israel”, including the “diverse nature of our bilateral relations”.

“India deeply values the enduring friendship with Israel, built on trust, innovation and a shared commitment to peace and progress,” Modi wrote in a post on X.

Since the start of Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza, its assaults have been weakening the Iran-led “axis of resistance”, including Hezbollah in Lebanon. Israel and Iran also directly clashed last June in a 12-day war, in which the US military also joined to attack Iran’s nuclear sites.

Netanyahu did not elaborate on what he meant by “emerging radical Sunni axis”, but he has previously identified the Muslim Brotherhood as its leading element.

Relations between Israel and several predominantly Sunni Muslim states have soured amid the bloodshed in Gaza, including with Turkiye, whose President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has sharply criticised Netanyahu, and Saudi Arabia, which has accused Israel of genocide.

Prospects for normalisation between Israel and Saudi Arabia also appear to be eroding. In recent months, the kingdom has rebuked Israel’s recognition of Somalia’s breakaway region, Somaliland, as well as the Israeli moves towards annexation in the occupied West Bank.

Since 2020, Israel has pushed to establish formal ties with Arab and Muslim states as a way to shore up its regional standing as part of the US-backed so-called “Abraham Accords”.

Under that framework, Israel has been enjoying close relations with the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Morocco.

Source link

Analysis: Hezbollah hit by new U.S. sanctions while restructuring

Supporters of Hezbollah shout slogans during a protest organized by the group under the slogan “The entire country is resistance” outside the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, on February 4. The demonstrators condemned the ongoing Israeli attacks on Lebanon and restrictions preventing southern residents from returning to their villages. Photo by Wael Hamzeh/EPA

BEIRUT, Lebanon, Feb. 18 (UPI) — The United States is tightening the noose on Iran-backed Hezbollah, stepping up pressure with new sanctions aimed at cutting it off from the global financial system and hindering its efforts to regroup and secure new funding sources.

Severely weakened by the recent war with Israel, the group is seeking to recover after losing much of its military capacity, senior leadership and key funding channels that once enabled it to become a powerful regional actor.

With the loss of Syria as its primary supply corridor from Iran after the ouster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, and of Venezuela as a suspected financial safe haven amid allegations of drug trafficking and money‑laundering operations, Hezbollah’s financial strains have emerged as one of its most pressing challenges.

Gone are the days when Hezbollah could generously support its popular base, paying reconstruction grants, salaries and stipends that helped it secure loyalty and maintain influence.

Today, the group is increasingly forced to prioritize its financial obligations, redirecting scarce resources to maintain core operations.

Limiting housing allowances or delaying payments to villagers whose homes were destroyed or damaged during the recent war in southern and eastern Lebanon, as well as Beirut’s southern suburbs, illustrates Hezbollah’s growing inability to meet its regular financial obligations.

Its efforts to secure funds, generate revenue and evade international sanctions were again targeted by the U.S. Treasury Department, which last week sanctioned Jood SARL, a Lebanon-based company linked to the group’s gold trading network.

The firm is accused of creating a chain of businesses to trade gold within Lebanon and potentially abroad, converting Hezbollah’s gold reserves into liquid funds.

The sanctions also extend to an Iran-based shipping network with connections involving Turkey and a Russian national based in Moscow, underscoring the global reach of Hezbollah’s revenue-generating activities.

According to Mohammad Fheili, a risk strategist and monetary economist, the U.S. Treasury is attempting to “pollute the ecosystem” Hezbollah uses to convert assets into operational cash.

“The immediate effect is less about ‘zeroing funding’ and more about raising the friction cost of money,” Fheili told UPI, explaining that the sanctions increase counterparty caution among dealers, shippers and intermediaries, and can effectively freeze access to “clean” trade channels.

He pointed out that procurement then becomes slower and more expensive. When networks are exposed, replacement channels tend to be costlier, involving more intermediaries, greater leakage and a higher risk of interception.

“Even when Hezbollah can move value through cash-heavy channels, everyone around it — licensed exchange houses, logistics firms and commodity traders — faces higher compliance and reputational risks,” Fheili said. “This, in turn, shrinks the pool of ‘willing’ facilitators.”

Some Lebanese businessmen, who have long acted as Hezbollah’s facilitators both in the country and across the diaspora, are reportedly becoming more cautious, fearing they could be targeted by U.S. sanctions and face civil or criminal penalties.

Ali Al-Amin, who runs the “Janoubia” website from southern Lebanon, which focuses on the Shiite community and Hezbollah, said those businessmen were initially drawn to Hezbollah’s rising power — not its ideology — for financial gain.

Al-Amin said that some people, particularly those with established operations in African countries, worry they could face pressure or become targets of the new financial restrictions on Hezbollah in the coming phase.

“They are distancing themselves and keeping away from Hezbollah to protect themselves,” he told UPI. “Being close to the group has become more costly than rewarding.”

He contended, however, that if the Americans had wanted to put Hezbollah — which he said has long enjoyed freedom of movement in Europe and Africa — in check, they could have done so a long time ago.

“It gave facilitators the impression that they had some kind of cover, even internationally,” he said.

Although Hezbollah has long been under U.S. and international sanctions as a designated terrorist organization, U.S. Treasury officials say the group has managed to evade many of these restrictions by maintaining a complex global financial network and using front companies to launder funds.

At the height of the Hezbollah-Israel war, Lebanon tightened security at Beirut-Rafic Hariri International Airport and indefinitely suspended flights to and from Iran to prevent Israeli strikes on the country’s main air and sea gateways, which Israel claimed were being used to smuggle funds and weapons to Hezbollah.

Rigorous security checks have been implemented at the airport, with stricter inspections on flights from Iraq and other designated destinations and thorough screenings of passengers and baggage. Even diplomatic pouches carried by visiting Iranian officials were denied clearance.

The measures forced Hezbollah to seek new smuggling methods, including passengers or pilgrims to Iraq’s holy sites in Najaf and Karbala carrying back cash money , or concealing funds in parcels from various countries.

Even if some of these attempts were successful, the smuggled funds remain limited and insufficient to meet Hezbollah’s actual needs, according to al-Amin, who said the group has “100,000 salaries to pay every month” and has shifted to dealing in gold and digital currencies.

He said that although Hezbollah’s followers are “worried and cautious,” they still view the group as a safety net, capable of leveraging its power and influence within public institutions “to secure government compensation, a hospital bed, or a school seat.”

“But the Shiites [in Lebanon] also realized that Hezbollah led them into disaster, leaving them without allies in Syria, Lebanon, or the wider world,” al-Amin said.

In a surprise move early this month, Kuwait placed eight Lebanese hospitals on its terrorism sanctions list, citing suspected involvement in or facilitation of terrorism — a move aimed at Hezbollah.

“This is significant because it extends ‘pressure targeting’ from financiers and front companies to service institutions such as healthcare, which are socially sensitive and politically symbolic,” Fheili said.

To confront the challenges stemming from the Israeli war, Hezbollah’s new leader, Sheikh Naim Qassem, has embarked on what appears to be a comprehensive restructuring of the group, sidelining some figures, promoting others and dissolving or merging units.

The resignation of Wafic Safa, head of the Liaison and Coordination Unit — a post that allowed him significant influence and interference over security, political and judicial authorities — was a clear sign of structural change within Hezbollah.

Safa, who survived an Israeli assassination attempt during the war, will be reassigned as part of the group’s internal restructuring that began after the cease-fire agreement, according to Kassem Kassir, a political analyst who specializes in Islamic movements and is close to Hezbollah.

With Safa gone, reports suggest that merging the group’s security units under a central authority has limited its dealings with the Lebanese state to political intermediaries.

Kassir said a new media unit, consolidating all the party’s outlets, has been set up under Ibrahim Mousawi, a Hezbollah deputy in parliament. Former minister and MP Mohammad Fneish was appointed to oversee political relations and preparations for the upcoming parliamentary elections scheduled for May.

“Hezbollah is preparing more measures for the post-war phase to showcase its stability and evolution, highlighting its civil society organizations — from scouting and cultural groups to women’s and educational institutions,” he told UPI. “This is intended to reaffirm its commitment to the state option, to political engagement, and to the decline of its military role.”

However, that commitment may not be enough.

“Hezbollah knows its military role is over, but still cannot admit it,” al-Amin said. “Moving from being a resistance and a regional power to something else requires courage.”

He said the group is evading “difficult questions” and has failed to reassess its relations with Iran and Lebanon now that it is no longer a regional power.

“It seems there is confusion within Hezbollah, and much of it is tied to Iran and what its future holds — whether there will be a [U.S.-Israeli] war against Iran or not,” he said.

Source link

Trump warns Iran of ‘consequences’ of no deal at nuke talks in Geneva

Feb. 17 (UPI) — U.S. President Donald Trump said he would participate “indirectly” in U.S.-Iran nuclear talks due to resume in Geneva on Tuesday.

Speaking aboard Air Force One on Monday night, Trump said the negotiations were very important and he believed Tehran wanted to reach a deal, saying the fallout of not doing so would be very bad news, referencing U.S. air and missile strikes on the country’s nuclear facilities in June, following failed negotiations.

“I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal. We could have had a deal instead of sending the B-2s [stealth bomber aircraft] in to knock out their nuclear potential. And we had to send the B-2s. I hope they’re going to be more reasonable,” said Trump, who acknowledged that they were tough to negotiate with.

Similar optimism for its own prospects emanated from the Iranian side on Monday with the foreign ministry in Tehran saying it believed the United States’ position had shifted to “a more realistic one,” regarding Iran’s nuclear program.

Following a meeting in Geneva on Monday with International Atomic Energy Agency director general Rafael Grossi on “technical matters,” Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said he was heading into the talks with “real ideas” to achieve a fair and just agreement, vowing Iran would not be coerced.

“What is not on the table: submission before threats,” he wrote in a post on X.

On Friday, Trump announced he was dispatching a second carrier strike group, the USS Gerald Ford, to the region to join an already substantial U.S. naval armada in the Arabian to ratchet up pressure on Tehran over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs and a deadly crackdown on protesters that began in late December.

Trump said he was deploying the world’s largest carrier to join the USS Abraham Lincoln strike group sent last month because if Iran didn’t “make a deal, we’ll need it.”

The Gerald Ford and its battleships and associated vessels, currently deployed in the Caribbean, are expected to arrive in the Arabian Sea in three to four weeks.

Tuesday’s negotiations pick up from talks in Oman on Feb. 6 where a U.S. team led by Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law, met with the Iranian’s led by Araghchi, although proceedings were mediated by Omani officials and the two sides did not talk face-to-face.

As well as agreement on curtailing Iran’s enrichment of uranium, the Trump administration wants the talks to include its ballistic missile arsenal, a recent brutal crackdown on public protests and backing of regional proxies Hamas and Hezbollah.

Tehran has been pushing back, insisting it is only willing to discuss reining in its nuclear program — in exchange for sanctions relief.

President Donald Trump speaks alongside Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency Lee Zeldin in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on Thursday. The Trump administration has announced the finalization of rules that revoke the EPA’s ability to regulate climate pollution by ending the endangerment finding that determined six greenhouse gases could be categorized as dangerous to human health. Photo by Will Oliver/UPI | License Photo

Source link