controversial

EU member states back von der Leyen’s controversial trade deal terms under pressure from Trump

Published on 28/11/2025 – 17:03 GMT+1
Updated
17:16

The EU member states agreed on Friday to cut tariffs on US imports as outlined in a controversial trade deal agreed last summer between the European Commission and the Trump administration to the detriment of European goods.

The move comes as US trade representatives urge EU capitals to fast-track the implementation of the deal which foresees the EU dropping tariffs to zero on most US industrial goods. A US delegation visited Brussels this week for talks.

The idea of adding a so-called “sunset clause” – a mechanism that would end the tariff concessions after a period of five years if the deal is not renewed – sparked a debate among EU countries but did not go ahead, signalling that member states do not want to antagonise Trump.

The EU-US trade agreement was concluded in July after months of tensions after US President Donald Trump imposed sweeping tariffs on partners worldwide in what he called “Liberation Day” for America. Under the deal, the EU will pay 15% tariffs on its exports to the US, while reducing its own tariffs on most US industrial products to zero.

No ‘sunset clause’ yet, but the Parliament could fight it

The deal has been widely criticised as a humiliation for Europe, although the Commission has defended it since arguing that it was the best possible outcome in the face of Trump’s aggressive trade stance. The alternative, Brussels argued, would have been worse.

Still, on Friday, the 27 backed the Commission’s much-maligned deal with a majority.

They also approved a clause allowing the Commission to suspend the deal if the US fails to implement it, as well as a safeguard mechanism enabling the Commission to temporarily halt the agreement if US imports surge and disrupt the European single market as a result of tariff concessions.

Member states also debated the introduction of a “sunset clause” that would permanently end the tariff reductions after five years if the deal is not renewed – an idea they expect the European Parliament to champion in upcoming talks.

Both institutions must agree on a common text by next spring to finalise the tariff cuts. According to an EU diplomat, most member states could accept adding the clause, but Germany opposes it as it fears retaliation.

The head of the Parliament’s trade committee, German MEP Bernd Lange (S&D), has already included the idea of a sunset clause in his report on the deal’s implementation which will serve as the basis for the European Parliament’s debate.

Inside the Commission, officials hope the Council and Parliament will refrain from unravelling the agreement negotiated with Washington on the basis that it could trigger another round of escalation and amplify a trade war.

Source link

Controversial US-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation ends aid operations

The controversial, US and Israel-backed Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF) says it is winding down its aid operations in the Palestinian territory, after almost six months.

The organisation had already suspended its three food distribution sites in Gaza after the ceasefire between Hamas and Israel took effect six weeks ago.

The GHF aimed to bypass the UN as the main supplier of aid to Gaza’s population. UN and other aid agencies refused to co-operate with its system, saying it was unethical and unsafe.

Hundreds of Palestinians were killed while seeking food amid chaotic scenes near GHF’s sites, mostly by Israeli fire, according to the UN. Israel said its troops fired warning shots.

The GHF said on Monday that it was winding down operations now because of the “successful completion of its emergency mission”, with a total of three million packages containing the equivalent of more than 187 million meals delivered to Palestinians.

The GHF’s executive director, Jon Acree, also said the US-led Civil-Military Coordination Centre (CMCC) – which has been set up to help implement US President Donald Trump’s Gaza peace plan – would be “adopting and expanding the model GHF piloted”.

US state department spokesperson Tommy Piggott wrote on X: “GHF’s model, in which Hamas could no longer loot and profit from stealing aid, played a huge role in getting Hamas to the table and achieving a ceasefire.”

Hamas – which denies stealing aid – welcomed the closure of the GHF, Reuters reported. A spokesman for said GHF should be held accountable for the harm it caused to Palestinians.

“We call upon all international human rights organisations to ensure that it does not escape accountability after causing the death and injury of thousands of Gazans and covering up the starvation policy practised by the (Israeli) government,” Hazem Qassem wrote on his Telegram channel.

The GHF began operations in Gaza on 26 May, a week after Israel had partially eased a total blockade on aid and commercial deliveries to Gaza that lasted 11 weeks and caused severe shortages of essential supplies. Three months later, a famine was declared in Gaza City.

The GHF’s food distribution sites in southern and central Gaza were operated by US private security contractors and located inside Israeli military zones.

The UN and its partners said the system contravened the fundamental humanitarian principles of neutrality, impartiality and independence, and that channelling desperate people into militarised zones was inherently unsafe.

The UN’s human rights office said it recorded the killing of at least 859 Palestinians seeking food in the vicinity of GHF sites between 26 May and 31 July. Another 514 people were killed near the routes of UN and other aid convoys, it added. Most of them were killed by the Israeli military, according to the office.

The Israeli military said its troops had fired warning shots at people who approached them in a “threatening” manner.

The GHF said there were no shootings at the aid sites and accused the UN of using “false and misleading” statistics from Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.

The GHF’s future had been uncertain since Hamas and Israel agreed a ceasefire deal to implement the first phase of Trump’s peace plan.

It said aid distribution would take place “without interference from the two parties through the United Nations and its agencies, and the Red Crescent, in addition to other international institutions not associated in any manner” with Hamas and Israel.

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said on Monday that the GHF’s shutdown would have “no impact” on its operations “because we never worked with them”.

He also said that while more aid was getting into Gaza since the ceasefire took effect on 10 October, it was “not enough to meet all the needs” of the 2.1 million population.

Source link

Controversial County Kookaburra ball trial scrapped

The experiment of using Kookaburra cricket balls in some rounds of the County Championship has been scrapped.

Kookaburras have been used in some rounds for each of the past three seasons, but the move was largely unpopular due to the trend of bat dominating ball.

Directors of cricket from the 18 first-class counties expressed their desire to end the experiment in October.

And the decision was confirmed by a meeting of the England and Wales Cricket Board’s professional game committee (PGC) earlier this week.

It means all 14 rounds of the 2026 County Championship season will be played with balls manufactured by Dukes.

Dukes are the traditional supplier of cricket balls for first-class cricket played in England. Dukes balls are hand-stitched and, in general, offer more assistance to bowlers.

Kookaburra balls are machine made and are mainly used in countries like Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

The Kookaburra ball was introduced into the County Championship with the idea of preparing English players for overseas conditions. The theory was that it would encourage bowlers of higher pace and lead to spin having an enhanced role.

It was used for two rounds of matches in 2023, and expanded to four rounds for 2024 and 2025.

Two rounds of Kookaburra matches earlier this summer, played in June, resulted in a lot of dull cricket. The average first-innings total across the Championship was 430, 59 individual scores of 100 or more were made and Surrey racked up 820-9 declared against Durham at The Oval.

The ECB’s high performance arm – those involved in the England teams rather than the county game – still stands by the decision to use the Kookaburra, however, which points to the conflicts within the game.

Speaking last month before the decision was confirmed, ECB men’s performance director Ed Barney said: “We valued the Kookaburra ball. Has it achieved what we intended to? Yes, 100%.

“To be most effective with the Kookaburra ball you have to bowl at a higher speed. Has it drawn more spin bowling into the domestic game? Yes it has.”

Statistics from the past three County Championship seasons shows the optimal bowling speeds with the Kookaburra were around 85mph, but 75-79mph with the Dukes.

Forty per cent of deliveries were bowled by spinners during Kookaburra rounds but only 25% when using the Dukes.

“Ultimately the domestic game has a decision to make of whether it wants its core purpose to be about producing and developing players for international cricket or whether its core purpose is about a product that is competitive and appealing to the domestic context,” added Barney.

“That is the choice the domestic game and ECB has to make, and it is quite difficult for it to co-exist together.”

The move to return to the Dukes for the entire Championship season comes after counties rejected proposals to restructure the competition.

A new set-up of 12 teams in the top flight and six in the bottom tier, with each side playing 13 matches, was turned down in favour of the current system.

The Championship will remain with 10 teams in Division One, eight in Division Two, all playing 14 matches.

Source link

Julia Fox defends controversial blood-stained Jackie Kennedy Halloween costume after being branded ‘disrespectful’

JULIA Fox has defended her blood-stained Jackie Kennedy Halloween costume following backlash.

She recreated what former First Lady Jackie wore as husband President John F. Kennedy was assassinated.

Julia Fox defended her controversial Halloween costumeCredit: Getty
She recreated what Jackie Kennedy as JFK was assassinatedCredit: Getty
John F Kennedy was assassinated in November 1963Credit: Getty – Contributor

Left unimpressed, fans branded the actress’ outfit choice as “disrespectful” and “tasteless”.

Meanwhile, JFK and Jackie’s grandson Jack Schlossberg, also criticised her choice.

Taking to Instagram, Julia, 35, explained: “I’m dressed as Jackie Kennedy in the pink suit.

“Not as a costume, but as a statement.

RACY LOOK

Julia Fox leaves NOTHING to imagination with outfit inspired by Bianca Censori

She added: “When her husband was assassinated, she refused to change out of her blood-stained clothes, saying, “I want them to see what they’ve done.

“The image of the delicate pink suit splattered with blood is one of the most haunting juxtapositions in modern history.

“Beauty and horror. Poise and devastation.

“Her decision not to change clothes, even after being encouraged to, was an act of extraordinary bravery.

“It was performance, protest, and mourning all at once. 

“A woman weaponizing image and grace to expose brutality.

“It’s about trauma, power, and how femininity itself is a form of resistance. Long live Jackie O.”

The real Jackie’s pink Chanel suit was never cleaned following the assassination – remaining stained with JFK’s blood.

Julia – who previously dated Kanye West – is no stranger to attracting attention with her outfits.

The actress flashed her lace thong in some extremely low-cut leather pants while arriving at her pal’s event in New York.

She could be seen wearing black leather trousers with a flimsy cream t-shirt.

Her leather pants were extremely low-cut, which is something she clearly leaned into by wearing panties she wanted to be seen.

RAPE PROBE

Police launch urgent manhunt after girl raped in park in broad daylight attack


‘EVERYTHING’S CHANGED’

Mrs Hinch opens up on losing her dad & dealing with shock diagnosis

Popping out of the top of her black leather trousers were some pink and black knickers.

Julia’s costume choice attracted widespread controversyCredit: Getty
Actress and model Julia previously dated Kanye WestCredit: Splash

Source link