Blast

No evidence to support US claim China conducted nuclear blast test: Monitor | Nuclear Weapons News

Washington wants Beijing to join a new nuclear weapons treaty after expiration of the New START accord between the US and Russia.

An international monitor said it has seen no evidence to support the claim by a senior United States official who accused China of carrying out a series of clandestine nuclear tests in 2020 and concealing activities that violated nuclear test ban treaties.

US Under Secretary of State for Arms Control and International Security Thomas DiNanno made the assertions about China at a United Nations disarmament conference in Geneva, Switzerland, on Friday, just days after a nuclear treaty with Russia expired.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

“I can reveal that the US government is aware that China has conducted nuclear explosive tests, including preparing for tests with designated yields in the hundreds of tonnes,” DiNanno said at the conference.

China’s military “sought to conceal testing by obfuscating the nuclear explosions because it recognised these tests violate test ban commitments,” he said.

“China conducted one such yield-producing nuclear test on June 22 of 2020,” he said.

DiNanno also made his allegations on social media in a series of posts, making the case for “new architecture” in nuclear weapons control agreements following the expiration of the New START treaty with Russia this week.

“New START was signed in 2010 and its limits on warheads and launchers are no longer relevant in 2026 when one nuclear power is expanding its arsenal at a scale and pace not seen in over half a century and another continues to maintain and develop a vast range of nuclear systems unconstrained by New START’s terms,” he said.

Robert Floyd, executive secretary of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization, said in a statement on Friday that the body’s monitoring system “did not detect any event consistent with the characteristics of a nuclear weapon test explosion” at the time of the alleged Chinese test, adding that that assessment remains unchanged after further detailed analyses.

China’s ambassador on nuclear disarmament, Shen Jian, did not directly address DiNanno’s charge at the conference but said Beijing had always acted prudently and responsibly on nuclear issues while the US had “continued to distort and smear China’s national defence capabilities in its statements”.

“We firmly oppose this false narrative and reject the US’s unfounded accusations,” Shen said.

“In fact, the US’s series of negative actions in the field of nuclear arms control are the biggest source of risk to international security,” he said.

Later on social media, Shen said, “China has always honored its commitment to the moratorium on nuclear testing”.

Diplomats at the conference said the US allegations were new and concerning.

China, like the US, has signed but not ratified the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty (CTBT), which bans explosive nuclear tests. Russia signed and ratified it, but withdrew its ratification in ⁠2023.

US President Donald Trump has previously instructed the US military to prepare for the resumption of nuclear tests, stating that other countries are conducting them without offering details.

The US president said on October 31 that Washington would start testing nuclear weapons “on an equal basis” with Moscow and Beijing, but without elaborating or explaining what kind of nuclear testing he wanted to resume.

He has also said that he would like China to be involved in any future nuclear treaty, but authorities in Beijing have shown little interest in his proposal.

Source link

At least 15 killed, dozens hurt in blast at mosque in Pakistan’s Islamabad | News

DEVELOPING STORY,

Rescue teams reach the site after blast reported at a mosque in Tarlai Kalan during Friday prayers.

At least 15 people have been killed and more than 80 wounded after a blast at a Shia mosque in Pakistan’s capital Islamabad, local officials say.

The explosion occurred at Khadija Tul Kubra mosque, in southeastern Islamabad’s Tarlai Kalan area, during Friday prayers.

Rescue teams have reached the site of the explosion.

At least 15 of those injured were taken to hospitals with some of them in critical condition, rescue official Mohamed Amir said, according to dpa news agency.

Islamabad police spokesperson Taqi Jawad said the cause of the blast has yet to be determined, local news outlet Dawn reported.

In November last year, a suicide bomber blew himself up at the entrance of the Islamabad District Judicial Complex, killing at least 12 people and wounding dozens.

Al Jazeera’s Abid Hussain contributed to this report.

Source link

India coal mine blast leaves 18 dead, others feared trapped | Mining News

Explosion took place at an unregulated mine in the northeastern East Jainta Hills area.

An explosion at an illicit coal mine in northeast India has killed at least 18 people, according to local authorities.

Police on Thursday said they had pulled 18 bodies from the blast site, located in a remote part of East Jainta Hills district.

Eight others were wounded in the incident, said local official Manish Kumar. It is unclear how many workers were at the site during the explosion; others may still be trapped, said police.

Kumar said rescuers paused operations at sundown Thursday and planned to resume Friday with support from state and federal personnel. He described the site as an “illegal rat-hole mine”, referring to a deep, narrow shaft where workers risk hazardous conditions to extract coal and other minerals.

District police chief Vikash Kumar said dynamite likely triggered the blast, but investigations were ongoing.

“It is likely that the workers died either from burn injuries or breathing issues because of the release of noxious fumes,” said Kumar in a statement carried by The Indian Express. “But because there is no one who has come out in a condition to tell us exactly what happened and how many workers were there in total, we do not have an estimation of how many more may be trapped.”

Prime Minister Modi announces compensation

Conrad Sangma, chief minister of the Indian state of Meghalaya, where the incident occurred, pledged that authorities would hold those responsible accountable and urged against illegal mining.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed “condolences” to the families of the deceased workers and announced a 200,000 rupees ($2,216) compensation package for each family. “Pained by the mishap in East Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya,” his office wrote in a post on X.

Unregulated coal pits are common in India’s east and northeast regions, with workers earning between $18 to $24 for a day-long shift.

Back in 2018, at least 15 miners were killed while trapped in one such mine in Meghalaya state.

Rat-hole mining has been banned in Meghalaya since 2014 due to water pollution concerns.

Source link

Arctic blast freezes East Coast from Virginia to Miami

Snow, ice and freezing temperatures have blanketed the Eastern half of the United States for the last week — including US 75 north of Dallas — bringing extreme winter weather to parts of the country, including the Carolinas, Georgia and Florida, that do not generally experience it. Photo by Ian Halperin/UPI | License Photo

Feb. 1 (UPI) — Another blast of Arctic winter weather froze the East Coast, as temperatures farther north dropped below zero, the Carolinas were blanketed with snow and freeze warnings were issued as far south as Miami.

North and South Carolina were hit especially hard with nearly two feet of snow expected over the weekend and wind chills expected to be below zero from Virginia south to Georgia, but most of the Northeast region of the country will see its normal cold winter temperatures, the New York Times reported.

In addition to blizzard conditions in North Carolina, two major highways in Mississippi have remained closed because of icy conditions, power is out in some places and 16 people have died, while in Nashville tens of thousands of people were waiting for their electricity to be turned back on as a result of the massive winter storm.

In Florida, decades old records were broken as temperatures dropped below the 30s nearly everywhere in the state, WPLG reported.

According to weather reports, temperatures were as low as 30 degrees in parts of Miami-Dade County, Pembroke Pines in South Florida saw a wind chill of 24 degrees, Orlando broke a 90-year-old record as temperatures dipped below 30 degrees and snow flurries were seen as far south as Tampa.

The extended period of winter weather in places that normally do not expect it will continue into this week, although the Northeast — New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts, specifically — will see bitter cold continue but the chance for snow is expected to increase.

“Kpop Demon Hunters” stars, left to right, Audrey Nuna, Ejae and Rei Ami arrive on the red carpet for the Pre-Grammy Gala on the eve of the 68th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles on January 31, 2026. Photo by Caroline Brehman/UPI | License Photo

Source link

Moeen Ali joins Yorkshire for T20 Blast as he shelves retirement plan and lauds anti-racism efforts

Moeen announced he would be leaving domestic cricket behind after featuring for Birmingham Bears last summer.

He ended his international career the previous year after playing 68 Tests, 138 ODIs and 92 T20 internationals, and featuring in three Ashes series.

Following England’s recent 4-1 Ashes defeat in Australia, the team’s culture again made headlines, with the England and Wales Cricket Board pledging to investigate reports of players drinking excessively.

A devout Muslim, Moeen does not drink alcohol. From a sporting perspective, he says drinking a day or two before a match will have an impact on a player’s performance.

“I think when you’re at the elite level things have to be proper and if you’re trying to perform at the highest level then drinking is a bigger issue,” Moeen said.

“I think there should be something in place… I know it happens in football, guys hardly drink before the game, I think it will be the same in cricket within four or five years.”

Moeen, who won two IPL titles with Chennai Super Kings and captained Worcestershire to their first Blast triumph in 2018, also skippered Birmingham Phoenix to the final of the inaugural Hundred tournament.

He knows his latest move might surprise some people.

“There might be some fans disappointed at signing a 38-year-old, but I’m there to do a job and hopefully win silverware,” he said.

“And to play at Headingley, which is such an iconic ground, is one of the main reasons I signed for Yorkshire. I know this might be the last two or three years of my career and I want to win as much as I can.”

The move will also see Moeen team up with England’s white-ball captain Harry Brook, the Yorkshire batsman who has been making headlines on and off the pitch.

Brook was punched by a nightclub bouncer in an altercation during England’s tour of New Zealand before the Ashes. The incident and a fine imposed on Brook only came to light more than two months after the event.

More positively, Brook hit a rapid century for England on Tuesday in their victory over Sri Lanka in Colombo to secure a 2-1 ODI series win.

“I think he has done a good job. On and off the field is something everybody goes through, the greatest players have been through it, it’s how you learn and how you come back from it,” Moeen said.

“Mistakes can happen, it was just highlighted a lot more because we lost the Ashes. I think he will be fine, and I think he’ll learn a lot.”

Moeen will join his new side in May before their first T20 match against Nottinghamshire, and there is an option to extend his contract for 2027.

Yorkshire, who have never won the T20 Blast, have also signed Afghanistan’s Naveen Ul-Haq and Australian fast bowler AJ Tye and Netherlands all-rounder Logan van Beek for the forthcoming campaign.

Moeen said of his future: “I have got one eye on what I want to do after cricket. I want to go straight into coaching.

“While I’m at Yorkshire I want to help as much as I can and if that means doing an academy session I’ll be more than happy to help and pass on my knowledge of the game.”

Source link