american airlines

Say goodbye to Spring Break? Government shutdown sparks concern of travel chaos over busy period

SPRING Break travelers are set to be hit by disruption amid the partial government shutdown.

Major airlines and travel groups have urged Congress to sort out funding for thousands of Transportation and Security Administration workers.

Millions of high school and college students are preparing to travel nationwide for Spring breakCredit: Getty
50,000 TSA workers will be hit by the partial government shutdownCredit: Reuters

It comes as millions of high school and college students are preparing to travel nationwide for Spring break.

The annual one-to-two-week academic vacation period is kicking off soon.

But, holidaymakers and flyers will be hit by annoying flight delays and longer wait times at security due to the partial US homeland security shutdown, according to travel groups and airlines.

And, TSA staff are likely to suffer financially, reported Simple Flying on Saturday.

“Not again: 50,000 TSA officers face unpaid work as shutdown threatens Spring Break travel,” its headline warned.

“As yet another government shutdown looms, so does one of the busiest travel times of the Year — spring break,” said U.S. Travel, Airlines for America, and the American Hotel & Lodging Association in a joint statement last Friday.

“Travelers and the U.S. economy cannot afford to have essential TSA personnel working without pay.”

They warned that the funding delays raise “the risk of unscheduled absences and call outs, and ultimately can lead to higher wait times and missed or delayed flights.”

The annual one-to-two-week academic vacation period is kicking off soonCredit: Getty

The partial government shutdown began on Saturday over money for the Department of Homeland Security.

Congressional Democrats and President Donald Trump’s team failed to reach a deal on legislation to fund the department through September.

And their inability to reach a compromise has sparked huge concern within the travel and hospitality industry – particularly with Spring break looming, plus the FIFA World Cup 2026.

The United States, along with Canada and Mexico, will be hosting the biennial football competition from June 11 through July 20.

Airlines for America also warned that funding uncertainty is “creating lasting damage to the entire travel ecosystem.”

The organization said the damaging interruption would hit “airlines, hotels and thousands of small businesses the travel industry supports.”

Tips on getting through TSA security faster during the 2026 partial shutdown

Funding for the DHS expired at midnight last Friday

The 95% of TSA workers deemed essential personnel will be required to keep working – but without pay.

To minimize delays at the airport:

  • Arrive at the airport with ample time to pass through airport security – about 1–2 hours before your flight
  • Ensuring you are dressed without excess layers or metal devices
  • Slip-on shoes also make the screening at TSA much quicker

Source: Simple Flying

“With America’s 250th anniversary and the 2026 World Cup this summer, the nation should be focused on showcasing the country on the world stage and maximizing the multi-billion-dollar economic opportunity these events bring,” the statement added.

“A lapse in TSA funding will significantly undermine those efforts.

“Last year’s shutdown alone resulted in an economic impact of $6 billion —nearly $140 million per day — and disrupted travel for more than 6 million travelers.”

FATAL SHOOTINGS

It comes days after Delta Air Lines’ boss told international visitors ahead of the World Cup that the U.S. remains a welcoming destination despite the controversial crackdown on immigration.

“Hopefully, the World Cup will bring a lot of Europeans, a lot of international visitors into the US market,” said Ed Bastian last Thursday.

“Yes, the US has a focus on immigration. This is not immigration. This is tourism,” Bastian added.

“And as long as people are coming with the proper credentials, they’re not having any issues.”

Democrats are demanding changes to how immigration operations are conducted after the fatal shootings of U.S. citizens Alex Pretti and Renee Good by federal officers in Minneapolis last month.

Congress is on recess until February 23.

OFF SICK

The longer the shutdown continues, the more likely flyers will be hit with delays as they will have to queue in longer lines at airports if workers call in sick.

Ha Nguyen McNeill, the acting TSA administrator, explained last Wednesday that TSA remained “laser-focused on returning the U.S. back to being the top global travel destination.”

Spring break 2026 – in numbers

  • Spring breakers are primarily high school and college students
  • 2 million college students travel for the holiday nationwide
  • Florida enjoys a $2.7 billion economic windfall from Spring break
  • Cancun’s Spring break tourism brings in $300 million yearly
  • More than 500,000 students flock to South Beach Miami
  • 1.5 million visitors attend Spring break in Panama City Beach
  • Only around 30% of bookings are made within 30 days of travel
  • The most popular domestic beach destinations this year are: Orlando, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Los Angeles, and San Diego

Sources: Travel Awaits and Gitnux

However, this can’t happen “in a timely manner if Congress does not fund DHS through the end of Fiscal Year 2026.”

“With the United States hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup in June of this year, TSA does not have the luxury of time to prepare for the influx of passengers and international travelers,” McNeill warned.

“A lack of funding and predictability will pose significant challenges on our ability to deliver transportation security for the American public with the level of excellence we expect, and the American taxpayer deserves.”

It follows a record 43-day shutdown last fall.

TSA agents fall under the DHS.

Source link

Trump says he’s instructed U.S. officials to reopen Venezuelan airspace for commercial travel

President Donald Trump said Thursday he has informed acting Venezuelan President Delcy Rodríguez that he’s going to be opening up all commercial airspace over Venezuela and Americans will soon be able to visit.

Trump said he instructed U.S. Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy and U.S. military leaders to open up the airspace by the end of the day.

“American citizens will be very shortly able to go to Venezuela, and they’ll be safe there,” the Republican president said.

Venezuela’s government did not immediately comment on Trump’s announcement.

Earlier this week, Trump’s administration notified Congress that it was taking the first steps to possibly reopen the shuttered U.S. Embassy in Venezuela as it explores restoring relations with the South American country following the U.S. military raid that ousted then-President Nicolás Maduro.

In a notice to lawmakers dated Monday and obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday, the State Department said it was sending in a regular and growing contingent of temporary staffers to conduct “select” diplomatic functions.

“We are writing to notify the committee of the Department of State’s intent to implement a phased approach to potentially resume Embassy Caracas operations,” the department said in separate but identical letters to 10 House and Senate committees.

Diplomatic relations between the two countries collapsed in 2019, and the U.S. State Department warned Americans shouldn’t travel to Venezuela, raising its travel advisory to the highest level.

The State Department on Thursday still listed a travel advisory for Venezuela at its highest level, “Do not travel,” warning that Americans face a high risk of wrongful detention, torture, kidnapping and more.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a message Thursday inquiring about whether it was changing its warning.

In November, as Trump was ramping up pressure on Maduro, he declared that the airspace “above and surrounding” Venezuela should be considered as “closed in its entirety.”

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, which has jurisdiction generally over the U.S. and its territories, then told pilots to be cautious flying around the country because of heightened military activity.

After that FAA warning, international airlines began canceling flights to Venezuela because of heightened military activity.

American Airlines, which was the last U.S. airline flying to Venezuela when it suspended flights there in March 2019, announced Thursday that it intends to reinstate nonstop service there from the U.S. in the coming months.

“We have a more than 30-year history connecting Venezolanos to the U.S., and we are ready to renew that incredible relationship,” Nat Pieper, American’s chief commercial officer, said in a statement. “By restarting service to Venezuela, American will offer customers the opportunity to reunite with families and create new business and commerce with the United States.”

American said it would share additional details about the return to service in the coming months as it works with federal authorities on security assessments and necessary permissions.

Price writes for the Associated Press. AP reporters Matthew Lee in Washington and Regina Garcia Cano in Caracas, Venezuela, contributed to this report.

Source link